Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Removing painted decals from Carbon Fork...

(closed)
...anyone have experience with this? If so, what works best, sanding paper or a specific spray?

Any input would be appreciated - thanks.

April 10, 2014 09:34 PM
fixedronin
28 posts
1 bike
Sand paper, coarse grit to fine (wet sand) once weave starts showing. Take your time and be uniform about it.

April 10, 2014 10:24 PM
"Once weave starts showing" - does that mean I'll have the word "ULTRA" in carbon weave instead of the red after I sand it off? That's all I want to do, sand off the "ULTRA" from my current fork.

April 10, 2014 10:52 PM
fixedronin
28 posts
1 bike
Without seeing the fork, I assume you can see carbon weave already but there is a decal on it (I.e. "ULTRA"). If so, most companies apply decals after the carbon part has been removed from the mold and preped for the decals/paint, then clear coated uniformly so decal/paint is protected. If this is the case, you will need to sand off the clear coat in order to sand of the decal. Don't get too aggressive with this as you can start sanding off carbon.

Hope this helps.

April 10, 2014 11:38 PM
The whole fork is painted black but the decals is painted red (refer to the bicycle I have posted on here).

April 11, 2014 04:28 PM
fixedronin
28 posts
1 bike
Sounds to me as thought you'd be best off stripping the entire fork of paint...

April 11, 2014 06:31 PM
@MrSloth

That looks like my only option right now and if that's the case I think I'll just leave it as is.

April 11, 2014 09:02 PM
fixedronin
28 posts
1 bike
Very cautious with stripping a carbon part, you choose the wrong agent and problems come up with the carbons resin layer

April 14, 2014 05:13 PM
iliasp
7 posts
1 bike
Why not just put tape over it?

April 15, 2014 06:58 PM
zippy2012
77 posts
8 bikes
If you don't want the carbon look, just rough up the paint with rough grit sand paper and paint it, gloss it. Done

April 15, 2014 07:49 PM
@zippy

I feel that would give the fork a "sloppy" look.

April 15, 2014 10:30 PM
fixedronin
28 posts
1 bike
@atombomb

Now that I received my new wheels, the decals have some red in them so the "Ultra" doesn't look as awkward as it did before. Check out my latest pic.

April 15, 2014 10:31 PM
fixedronin
28 posts
1 bike

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.