Home
Forums > General Discussion >

rims for the street. fixed

(closed)
what do you ride on? if you dont like your set up. what would you change?

any good prebuild wheelsets out there? if you could custom build with no money limit, what would you put together?

January 18, 2012 12:25 AM
Phil wood to velocity solid for LIFE in the city. I did phil woods to velocity aero heads for a classier build. the dura ace 7600 ARE NOT SEALED, so I really don't recommend them. Profile hubs are great too. Good mid range hubs could be the All-City or Miche hubs.

January 18, 2012 05:03 AM
roz
11 posts
5 bikes
I run the h+son tb-14 laced to all city new sheriff hubs and they're pretty damn awesome. I know the older sheriff hubs got a lot of hate but I really do like newer ones. If I was to build something up I would go with velocity to low flange phil wood also but if I wanted something a little more fancy and use on smoother streets I would use something similar to the mavic ellipses everyone's been talking about.

January 18, 2012 05:47 AM
to the dura ace 7600 hubs: if you buy them new, you get all the stuff you need to seal them in the box. you just have to take out the axles...

January 18, 2012 09:34 AM
strange
201 posts
34 bikes
custom shit? well..i would buy a pair of zipp t2 track hubs. very rare and beautiful and put them in a nice pair of araya aero rims...i dont like velocity rims that much and still think the best thing for your phils are h+son rims.

January 18, 2012 09:44 AM
strange
201 posts
34 bikes
let me know what you guys think of my dream builds either:

front mavic ellipse
rear velocity fusion to high flange flip flop phil
OR
mavic open pros front and rear
front low flange phil
rear high flange phil flip flop

trying to keep it lightweight with the ellipse and the box rim. the first option is more of a street/stop and go kind of deal. while the second is a long haul set up. what do you think? do you guys notice a difference between stiffness of a mid profile rim(deepv/fusion) versus a box profile rim like the tb14 or open pro. thanks guys

January 19, 2012 01:31 AM
what do you guys think of this build.

open pro cd(black)
HF flip flop phil rear(silver)
LF phil front(silver)
dt spokes and nips.

should i go for the higher profile rim and sacrifice weight for stiffness. or stick with the lower profile rim.

January 23, 2012 12:48 AM
is there a better low profile rim that you guys know of. or have ridden on?

January 23, 2012 12:50 AM
Good box section rims: Mavic open pros are awesome.

I've been considering the Hplusson TB14 but I haven't built up a set yet.

January 27, 2012 10:19 PM
chewypurple
92 posts
9 bikes
mavic open pros are legit

my toyo has HF Phils to Gunmetal Open Pros... rides smooth

January 27, 2012 11:29 PM
tjw
27 posts
6 bikes
Gunmetal open pros are sick. Are those only NOS? Or does Mavic still make them?

January 28, 2012 03:52 AM
chewypurple
92 posts
9 bikes
i am not sure if they are still being made (gun metal open pros). I got my set last year and don't plan on ever parting with them.

January 28, 2012 05:20 AM
tjw
27 posts
6 bikes
They still make them them
http://www.jensonusa.com/!GA0Mc0YeDayGyLEfwcIm4A!/Mavic-Open-Pro-CD-Rim
I might get a pair but not sure since you can get tb14s for $50ish and these for $70ish. But these look so much nicer.

January 28, 2012 06:01 AM
TRACKER
149 posts
5 bikes
so a yes for the open pros.

now, high or low flange hubs?

January 28, 2012 06:52 AM
kinda wanna do low flange in the front for less weight. but high flange in the rear for stiffness.

can you guys tell a difference with the stiffness? if you have ridden with both kinds of set ups(or something close)

January 28, 2012 06:56 AM
I have this type of setup; low flange up front and high in the rear. Honestly, I can't tell a difference in stiffness. Its pretty minimal. But the low flange hub is a bit lighter than a high flange and when laced to a low profile rim or box section...the weight is nice. :)

I guess what I'm saying is that I can tell more of a difference with weight rather than stiffness. But thats me.

January 30, 2012 02:53 PM
chewypurple
92 posts
9 bikes
thanks chewy, any input is great guys. phils to open pros will be a big purchase built up so i want to be rock solid with my decision.

January 31, 2012 06:40 AM
H plus son F30 looks good:)

February 6, 2012 11:44 PM
DaveD
2 posts
0 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.