Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Road bikes

(closed)
So for a while now I've been looking into getting a road and I've finally saved up a good amount to get one. I've road bikes since I can remember but never owned a road bike. I know how to ride one, shift gears, etc, but I don't know what's a good bike, good components and all that. I'm looking to spend around 1000 onto a bike, maybe a bit more but my budget is just about 1000, preferably lower. I'm looking for a bike to ride for endurance, riding hills, and I've been wanting to get into racing too and maybe some centuries. I'm not going to be commuting at all on it.

I was wondering what would be a good complete bike and if Fujis are any good and the reason I ask is because I was thinking of getting a bike from Performance bikes just because I get 20% in-store credit for purchasing it when they have certain sales. But if they're not any good I'm willing to buy one else where, maybe a used one online.
Also would building a bike from scratch be a good idea or would it go way out of my budget?
-thanks

September 5, 2013 12:42 AM
Not even going to attempt to tell you what's good and what's not since I don't know too much about road bikes, but I will tell you that you can achieve all of what you want with any bike...and I'll just go out on a limb and say your groupset is something to pay attention to. I could be wrong though.

September 5, 2013 05:28 AM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
fujis are decent bikes... common at all performance bikes stores.
if you can get that 20% discount, it'd be worth checking out if you would prefer buying brand new from a store. I believe they also offer lifetime bike support, if i remember correctly?
if you're cool with buying something used...i would check out craigslist.
plenty of stuff is on there aroun the SFV/SGV and surrounding LA areas.

i personally would stick to shimano 105 or sram rival/apex stuff.
apex is the lower end group for sram, but if you're planning on taking up racing and stuff then rival might be more worth checking out.
105 is great stuff, so you can just start there and then upgrade later on.

mixing endurance and racing is kind of a toss up.
frames have different geometry for their intended purpose.
endurance type bikes will have more of a relaxed/upright position, whereas racing frames will have a more aggressive position which won't be as comfy in long distance rides. they will also be more stiff, which won't be comfortable.
HOWEVER...some people still do centuries and long rides on race type framesets, so it's not unheard of.

in terms of fujis...
the roubaix should be fine. if not , you can always check out the specialized roubaix or cannondale synapse. both comfy race type bikes.

just my 2 cents

September 8, 2013 02:08 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
Nicely put

September 8, 2013 03:30 AM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
^^
Yea thanks alot for the advice, I was actually looking into getting a cannondale synapse or even a caad8 but I haven't made my choice. I've been looking alot through ebay and Craigslist to see if I can find anything I like but if it really comes down to it, I wouldn't mind spending a bit more into getting a new bike like a cannondale with 105 group set

September 8, 2013 07:21 AM
For 1000 I'd say look for something used and local. 1000 is not enough for a new bike if you plan to get into racing. If not, get a giant defy or a caad 8 or something. Can upgrade later to make it a but racier.

September 8, 2013 08:25 AM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
This should probably be a thread on its own, but does anyone have any good reviews or information on the Grigio Crit Pro road bike? I thought about biding on it, but I was hesitant. The frame has the same shape as a Fuji Track Pro from the last 10's. It's all too similar.

September 23, 2013 07:22 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
personally, i wouldn't buy a bike that i can't find ANY information on...

also, i know there's a bunch of other road bike threads that may possibly have other information as well.

September 23, 2013 09:53 PM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
Bringing back an old thread!

Recently bought a bike for the lady friend and it is in need of new stuff. The bike is an old Cannondale that I got for $150.00. The parts that are on it are mostly Japanese or Italian.
So far my concern is groupo and being able to install everything and adjust it myself, since most of the bike shops near me only do a lot of hybrid bike stuff and what not.

Looking to get Shimano 105, but I'm not looking to drop a lot of money. will definitely get a different set of handlebars and wheels, but for now I want to swap out the cassette, chain, rear de-railer and brake sets. Any suggestion when choosing parts or helping a girl get to her job?

June 16, 2016 07:27 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
Also, can anyone give me the 411 on the difference between 10 and 11 speed? I really have no clue what anything is when it comes to road bikes. This also helps me when choosing groupo parts and not making any dumb decisions.

June 16, 2016 07:29 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
shimano stuff is pretty cheap right now since they just dialed down their prices a couple months ago. i would get the 105 ten speed i mean 11 speed is cool i guess but 10 will be cheaper. chain reaction cycles would have it pretty cheap but they're in the UK so...shipping. Also any half decent bike shop should know how to adjust and install groupsets regardless of what bike it's on...

June 16, 2016 09:49 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
Most UK based shops offer free shipping at a certain price point. Buying a 105 group most likely meets that point, it did for me. Also, UK based outlets are usually substantially cheaper than US based outlets. Merlin Cycles, ProBikeKit, Ribble are all offering complete 105 groups for under 400. I just bought a complete SRAM Rival 22 group from Ribble for 390. No shipping or tax, no VAT. I wouldn't be surprised if you found a complete 105 group for 380 or less shipped from the UK. So, don't let shipping from the UK be a factor.

June 17, 2016 03:39 AM
stalag13
145 posts
7 bikes
[img]/f/0fbc77ad9a_1.jpg[/img]
Attached Photos:
Post photo

June 17, 2016 04:25 AM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
mind blowing, I know

June 19, 2016 05:37 PM
stalag13
145 posts
7 bikes
if you have no experience with road groups, I would let your lbs handle it.
it's not rocket science but I know they'll be able to get everything installed and situated for you.
at least better than you can, at this point.

what's wrong with the stuff on it currently? other than probably being rusted. might just need new cables/housing and a good tune up

June 20, 2016 06:29 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
I'll think about buying a whole group set. I was just going to buy piece by piece and learn with my girl on how to build and maintain the bike.

The components on it right now are:
Suntour shifters
Dia Compe brake sets
Cranks are Sugino something
Pedals are MKS
Not too sure what the hubs are
Rear rim is Campy/ front rim is Mistral
Handlebars are 3T (she's keeping them)
Stem is Nitto
Cabling and housing unknown and pink (definitely need to be fixed since it's loose)
Front and rear derailers I believe are Shimano (can't remember which era or type)
Saddle is Vetta
Can't remember the seat post
Hoods/ brake levers I also can't remember
Chain and cassette are rusted
Attached Photos:
Post photo

June 21, 2016 09:27 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
I'll pretty much be changing everything on this bike, because I realized that any new component might not work on older components such as a new Shimano cassette on whatever the hub is. Either way, it's a new learning experience for me.

June 21, 2016 09:36 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
I personally wouldn't dump a whole lot of more money into that bike.
I especially would not bother throwing anything past 9 speed on it...but that's just me.

June 22, 2016 02:12 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
+1 to that looks fine as is would clean/maintain and maybe replace saddle.

June 22, 2016 02:17 AM
Jehu
544 posts
14 bikes
Saddle definitely needs to be replaced. Seat post is old fashioned with a single bolt and it's a two piece seat post, also going to replace. The brake pads on them are old rubber that have become slick. Rims are old and are not machined for brakes.

These are more so the main things that need to be repaired, replaced, or changed. This is a bike that is pretty much going to be used daily. I guess I might be going overboard on wanting to replace everything, since I see this as more of a fun project over being something that just needs to function properly.

June 24, 2016 08:38 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
If your just getting into road bikes. Go for a Giant Defy. You can't go wrong. Specialized Allez is great as well.

August 21, 2016 11:49 PM
dwayneb9584
245 posts
7 bikes
Look at my Orbea. It cost a total of $975 (cheap $200 wheelset). I got it all on Ebay. It was a $3000, 5 year old carbon fiber frame for like $200. Of course to keep the road bike price below $1000 we are talking the cheapest wheels. It's now a terrific bike and I have since purchased 3 more wheelsets including one with a Powertap. They are all top quality. It was a $3000 frame. It did not deteriorate over its lifetime at all! The group set was SRAM Rival. I race the damned thing and keep up with these guys on their Specialized Super $9000 stuff no prob and I'm in my 50s. The strategy I used was profiling the sellers. I knew that some racers will sell a frame as a practical "giveaway" in the spirit of encouraging newbies (although actually I'm not, but I did know of this and looked for it while shopping) and the other profile I used was when shopping for the groupset but that one I keep secret. Anyway the set was like brand new condition at a great price. I was looking for a particular "type" of person to buy from.

October 27, 2016 12:55 PM
zippy2012
77 posts
8 bikes
Velo Mine has nice wheelsets for mad cheap, and there's a never ending supply of nice condition used mavic and araya wheelsets on ebay. +1 on buying groups from the uk, i got my 10 speed 105 for under 400, and the 11 speed is even cheaper (for some reason). On that 'dale though I'd just get a new cassette/chain, velo orange brake pads, and some fresh cables can't hurt.

November 30, 2016 02:11 PM
rawmeat
1 post
2 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.