Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Single Side or Flip Flop

(closed)
thinking about building up a nice wheel set. cant decide if i want single sided or flip flop. i have never switched out my cogs. I know double sided is stiffer. but i do not think i would ever use the other side.

let me know what you think, if you have ridden both and noticed a difference. stiffness is key but if it does not make that much of a difference please tell me.

thanks guys

February 7, 2012 03:28 AM
Why do you think threading on both sides of a hub make it stiffer? And I don't own any high end hubs but I've ridden a few of my friends bikes who do. Between phil,dura ace, profile or any thing else high end I left out I couldn't notice a difference in "stiffness". You won't notice either unless you weigh 250 pounds or your an extremely strong sprinter.

February 7, 2012 03:57 AM
adrian13346
89 posts
6 bikes
Get a fixed/ fixed hub. You never know when you need it and it could be very convenient. Also you can spin on a freewheel on a fixed threaded hub.

February 7, 2012 04:05 AM
Benson
134 posts
22 bikes
you get even spoke tension if you have double sided rear hub.

i dont plan on using a single speed cassette on this wheel set. i leave freewheels for road bikes.

any other advice, or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

February 7, 2012 05:30 AM
no, you get even spoke tension by correctly adjusting the spokes... double threading has no effect at all on stiffness. if that were the case, nobody would make single sided threading besides shit tier hub manufacturers...

February 7, 2012 08:02 AM
snorky
179 posts
4 bikes
+1 for double sided fixed

February 7, 2012 02:33 PM
richardg
315 posts
3 bikes
i talked to professional wheel builders at phil wood and they said double sided is stiffer. to be honest i take their word over yours. im still looking for more info on it. do you have any personal experience with single or double sided? dont come at me foul if you dont have the experience or history of wheelbuilding to back it up.

February 7, 2012 03:13 PM
I think what you mean is with a double sided hub you can use equal length spokes on both sides of the hub because it doesn't need to be dished like a single sided hub.

February 7, 2012 03:23 PM
Benson
134 posts
22 bikes
ive been told that the uneven spoke length makes it difficult if not impossible to get the wheel as stiff as a double sided rear wheel when all the spokes are the same length. is that not true?

February 7, 2012 03:29 PM
It all has to do with how well the wheel is built with the correct spoke length. Lets say if you have a single threaded hub or a road hub, non drive side spokes are lets say 280mm and driveside is 270mm its all about the dishing. If you tension everything correctly the wheel will be as stiff as a wheel that has equal spoke length. Now for stiffness if depends on the hub/rim combo like high flange and deep section wheels that will give it short spokes that can be very stiff if built right.
I think you are worried about this too much and single threaded/double threaded hubs has nothing to do with stiffness

February 7, 2012 04:16 PM
Benson
134 posts
22 bikes
untrue. just take a look at road hubs. the spoke lengths are very different, yet the wheels remain super stiff. my A-Class wheelset has never needed to be trued and i have several thousand miles on them.

February 7, 2012 04:18 PM
snorky
179 posts
4 bikes
ok guys thanks for all the help. i think i have decided on the build i want

February 7, 2012 04:23 PM

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.