Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Slideshow function

(closed)
I've been wondering whether it would be possible to program the site so it had a "slideshow" function where it randomly pics out pictures of bikes on the site? A function you could activate when half sleeping/drooling in front of the computer to give you wet dreams... Or so you wouldn't have to browse random bikes yourself.

I'm not a tech-geek so i honestly don't know shit.. Just thought it'd be nice

Thoughts?

January 23, 2015 11:19 AM
Karl
266 posts
32 bikes
+1

January 23, 2015 11:53 AM
hieronymus
8 posts
1 bike
can be done w/ rss feeds.

January 23, 2015 03:23 PM
usman
24 posts
1 bike
But that would require you to subscribe to the rss feed

January 23, 2015 03:54 PM
ridingfixed
356 posts
3 bikes
How'd that work? I'd be more than interested in it

January 26, 2015 09:34 AM
Karl
266 posts
32 bikes
Don't we have featured bike? It changes every month or so.
Not fast enough I guess.
It costs money, resources and time to make those changes, set ups. This site is free, has no real advertising so it doesn't generate an income for the owner. He does it all on his own, in his own time. And pays for the hardware too.
Scrolling random bikes would be cool but having no ads is better.

January 26, 2015 11:40 AM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
Agreed, it wasn't meant as a complaint though -not that i'm not very content with this amazing site and i agree, ads are nice NOT to have... It was simply a suggestion and i'm -as is said- a retard in electronics so i wouldn't know whether it was easy or very complicated :)

January 26, 2015 11:43 AM
Karl
266 posts
32 bikes
Woke up this morning and it's changed!
Karl the website listened to you. Just don't hold your breath till the next one.

January 26, 2015 07:22 PM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
Haha well i be damned... i won't, promise! -i'm busy taking good care of my badly hurt tongue that got stuck in the spokes, trying to lick the Saronni

January 27, 2015 11:47 AM
Karl
266 posts
32 bikes
I'll consider this. It wouldn't be too difficult to add if I utilized the existing slideshow functionality.

You can currently browse any search results in a slideshow fashion, by clicking the "slideshow" view option on the right side of the screen. For example: http://www.pedalroom.com/bikes/newest?q=campagnolo&view=slideshow

It's not immediately intuitive how many bikes it loads (I had to look at the code to figure it out), but it loads 100 bikes and cycles through those. It doesn't show random bikes and is limited to whatever search you can do and 100 bikes, and the UI also kinda sucks for the slideshow (needs faster/slower/pause/next/prev buttons), but at least there's that for now.

And as far as featured rides go, my plan going forward is to change them more frequently, as well as involve the community in helping to choose them. I'm getting back into the swing of things and have a lot of good things planned!

January 27, 2015 09:36 PM
Coomer
98 posts
23 bikes
Thanks a lot Coomer, i didn't know you could do that at all! It's really cool you take your time, reading all of our suggestions and complaints, i know there must be a lot :)

Well those plans sounds really interesting - very good ideas imo! Hope it's not too hard or takes too much of your time...

Cheers

January 28, 2015 07:23 AM
Karl
266 posts
32 bikes
And well it was really something like this i'd imagined - the only improvement would be if the slideshow wasn't limited to one "kind" or brand of bikes - i guess it could be combined w. the up/downvote function making it able to show all the "highest" rated bikes... :)

January 28, 2015 07:28 AM
Karl
266 posts
32 bikes
Karl??? I don't know how.
I always teach the apprentices that work with me 'Don't put your finger where you wouldn't put your dick.' You too could use this advice.

February 1, 2015 11:23 AM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.