Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Small Crack in Carbon Tri Spoke

(closed)
Hey guys, so i have quick question. I have this crack line on the side of the tri spoke, and its probably about 4 inches long, and like a millimeter in width. Should i be worried about this? Ive bounced the wheel to hear if there was any noise but i dont hear anything. Ive rode the wheel for about 10 miles yesterday and it doesnt show any sign of damage, and the previous owner has been riding on rim before and he said it hasnt had any problems. So basically should i dispose of the rim, or continue using it and possibly getting it repaired later on?
Attached Photos:
Post photo

July 31, 2013 07:51 PM
Did you buy it with the crack already there?

July 31, 2013 08:27 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
Wow! That will fail, when? Who knows. You have a tyre on the other side with 110psi or more forcing that rim open. That is if it's a clincher. But what will you be doing when it fails? Walking out the house, rolling down the drive. Maybe on a busy road doing 40kph, or flying down a hill. Are you prepared to take that risk? If it goes at speed you're going to have a big crash that you could have avoided. Or you could be pumping up your tyre and it lets go then.
Your call.

July 31, 2013 08:29 PM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
get it repaired, that thing is gonna blow!

July 31, 2013 08:34 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
Yea i bought it with the crack already there. Honestly it was only 20 bucks -_-. Aha i bought a carbon HED 60mm rim for 120 and i traded it away for this tri and 100 bucks on the buyers part. So it was a deal i couldnt pass. And YES !!! I will get it repaired soon! Do you guys know any shops in the bay area or anyone that could possibly do the repairs on this?

July 31, 2013 08:46 PM
Dude. I hate to say this but you got majorly ripped off. Yeah, you may have only payed $20, but you're probably going to pay as much as you bought the 60mm HED for, if not more (not 100% sure on what it costs to fix carbon cracks, but it's not cheap). The seller gave you $100 bucks on top of the wheel because it had that crack. No bueno mi amigo. I think AKfromGC nailed it perfectly. ANY of those things can happen! Scary!

July 31, 2013 10:18 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
Dam, you have a good point. Thank you again for the response! I am calling a couple of shops to see if they are able to repair this. Thank you again!

July 31, 2013 10:25 PM
No problem! Hope you get it fixed!

July 31, 2013 10:38 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
Thank you! Yea I actually know a guy (my cousins friend) who knows what hes doing when it comes to repairing carbon. He made his own carbon disc =D. I trust his work and so im dropping off the tri spoke today for him to repair it and hopefully its a good fix! A very reasonable price as well. A LOT cheaper than the shops =). Ill let you guys know how the repair goes! Should be ready to go by sunday!

August 1, 2013 05:34 PM
I didnt put out a lot of money for this tri spoke so repairing it wont be bad. I bought a carbon HED 60mm front rim for 120 and i traded some guy for this tri spoke and 100 on his part =D. So basically i only spent 20 on the rim. And the repairs is going to be about 40 bucks and its a guaranteed fix as long as i dont crack it open again. So 60 bucks for a tri spoke isnt bad =). Something ill probably be keeping for a while xD.

August 1, 2013 05:39 PM
??? Ha ha ha. Guaranteed, as long as I don't crack it open. That's not a guarantee.
Construction with CF is one thing but to repair it is another. A cracked frame is more simple in that you can wrap around with new sheets. But a rim, I don't know. Fill the crack with resin, and that's not doing anything. Put new layers on it. Then your wheel is not balanced anymore. It has more material (CF and resin) on one side. Don't bother. Hang the wheel on the wall in the shed and put the money towards a new wheel.
Or cover up and see how much PSI you can pump into it before it blows!

August 1, 2013 06:48 PM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
Yea its a chance im taking =). hopefully everything goes well!

August 1, 2013 07:07 PM
Thread bump. I just picked up a mid 90's spec Tri spoke and in a four inch spot along the braking surface the glue has slightly came off. Wheels straight as an arrow an I'm wondering if you could suringe some apoxy in there. Any thoughts.

I'd like to bomb this on my regular bike but if I have to build a poke around fixie then that's fine.

August 12, 2013 06:15 PM
Killerseagull
73 posts
10 bikes
Killerseagull, can you post a picture for us to see?

August 13, 2013 04:22 AM
[url=/f/c85a8ca946_1.jpg][img]/f/c85a8ca946_1s.jpg[/img][/url]

Now I got this thing for 50 bucks. It was rough so I wet sanded all the paint off with 600 grit in my bath tub. Ya it was a mess and no I didn't sand into the glue under the paint. I took my time.
Attached Photos:
Post photo

August 14, 2013 02:30 AM
Killerseagull
73 posts
10 bikes
Drop some epoxy in the open seem and wrap it with electric tape sticky side up. Then apply a clap (not TOO much to crush the wheel). It will be fine.

August 19, 2013 08:30 PM
Thanks. But I encountered a bigger issue. I found an in opened crack in a spoke. Same as the guys above. I'm gonna glue that too but I'm only gonna be able to put around town. Oh well

August 20, 2013 07:15 PM
Killerseagull
73 posts
10 bikes
Follow youtube videos of wet layups. Same principles. If you don't use vacuum technique make sure you have a compression element while it cures. Pm me and I can advise you further

August 21, 2013 02:19 PM
Or you could just throw it in the trash where it belongs.

August 21, 2013 02:29 PM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
I'd have to go with Scrodzilla on this was one. Either get the crack professionally fixed (which will cost more than what you paid for the wheel), or trash it.
Not sure if you read any of this thread, but a crack carbon wheel will buckle under you more sooner than later.

August 21, 2013 03:13 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
I would not throw it away. Carbon can easily be repaired, people just don't know any better. But it needs to restore structural integrity for safety.

August 21, 2013 03:39 PM
Isn't that the same thing as "fixing" it?

August 21, 2013 03:46 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
I mean make sure your repair job is sound that's all

August 21, 2013 03:48 PM
Of course it can be restored, no doubt. But it'll cost more money to repair it than how much he bought it for. Definitely not worth it. He'll then have a compromised wheel that will never be the same.

August 21, 2013 03:48 PM
BRNDNLPZ
212 posts
1 bike
I don't think you are very familiar with carbon fiber repair costs. Calfee would probably repair it for $200/$300. Maybe a bit more, maybe less. If he did it himself it would be less expensive.

August 21, 2013 03:51 PM

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.