Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Sorry for the Absence

Hey guys,
I'm really sorry for the absence and lack of maintenance around here lately. The quick version is that my life is finally settling down enough that I'm going to be around a bit more and put some work into the site in the form of moderators (if anyone wants to help, I'd love it) and better spam controls.

Life has been crazy for a while. I started a company in Seattle with a couple buddies about three years ago and it's been so much work and stress that I just didn't have time. Then we got acquired in late 2017 and I moved to Denver, buying a house with a million issues in the process, also a huge timesuck and stress. Quit that company after 13 months, and at the start of 2019 I started another company with the same crew, and that's been madness getting it off the ground, but now the foundation is built and the workload is a tad lighter, and I'm realizing I need to relax a bit more and not burn myself out.

I also really miss the biking community and Pedal Room community. I've still been riding lots but have been missing people and a connection to others. But work has just been so draining and I know that the spam has gotten out of control that even thinking about Pedal Room has been a stress on top of all the other stresses, so I haven't tackled that for a long time, and I'm sorry.

I'm realizing that getting my stresses under control and taking care of things is what needs to happen, and I'm going to make that happen in many ways. I'm getting some professional help with the house, my job is lightening up a bit, and I'm gonna get back into Pedal Room and at least doing a bit of work on it every month. I told my lady that I'm gonna work on it every month and she's gonna keep me accountable. And I want to connect with the community, and ride with others in Denver, and just feel like I've got less hanging over my head in general.

So I'm sorry. I feel bad and I've been meaning to tackle Pedal Room for a while. I knew that just logging in would be stress-inducing because of all the spam and stuff, but I'm in a good spot now in life to start tackling that, and start building some better tools to keep it under control.

I'm on beautiful vacation right now, but next week I'll get started on tackling some of the issues. Removing the existing spam and implementing some anti-spam measures are where I'll be getting started. I'd love to have a couple members help out as moderators if anyone's interested, but that work will come after the initial anti-spam stuff.

Again, I'm sorry it's been too long. I'm a bad admin but I plan on changing that. It feels good just to log in and type this out and start the process of getting it all under control. I love seeing the community still around despite my poor maintenance, so thank you to all who are reading this and still here. And know it will be changing for the better soon.

-Coomer

April 27, 2019 09:24 PM
Coomer
98 posts
23 bikes
Thank you and welcome back!!

April 27, 2019 10:06 PM
I think we're all just glad to know you're still there dude! No need to apologize, we're came here and are still here by choice. And, I'm willing to throw my hat in the ring for mod duty.

April 28, 2019 12:44 AM
stalag13
126 posts
6 bikes
Welcome back!

April 28, 2019 01:01 AM
YES!!!!! Welcome back! I would be more than happy to help moderate this site.

Here's my resume: https://www.reddit.com/r/FixedGearBicycle/about/moderators/

April 28, 2019 07:51 PM
Jehu
533 posts
12 bikes
It is only natural that you take a final bow and give your position to the next generation. You have been a wise and strong leader, Coomer, you have been there for us in our lowest of times, you have upheld our standard through the hail and wind of howling winter's cold. We have called to you in our desperation and your counsel has uplifted our depraved and lost souls. You have been like as an honey when one is at starvation's pinnacle in the desert of our heartbroken slavery, when a corrupt and violent authority has cursed and falsely accused us you have stood in the way of injustice and with your golden spirit cast the devil into hades never to return. When we needed shelter Coomer you have spread a cloak of benignity over our distress and in the bosom of sleep we have been cured of our deceptions, when we were as crawling beasts after our selfish gains Coomer you led us into the light of the pure and righteous path, and thereby do we owe it to you, that what you have done will never be forgotten in the sands of time.

April 29, 2019 03:57 PM
NicolasCalifornia
151 posts
4 bikes
I knew you weren't dead! Glad you're back man. Sorry if I went too far by texting and emailing you. I'd be happy to take some load off and help moderate the site.

April 29, 2019 06:52 PM
Bubba
62 posts
7 bikes
welcome back!

April 29, 2019 10:01 PM
Rainier
200 posts
1 bike
He lives! Good to hear that you’re in a good spot now Coomer. Life can be tough and damning at times we all get it I think.

Anyways if you’re looking for volunteers to help mod the forums I’d throw my name in the fray.

Real glad to see you back buddy, PedalRoom lives on.

April 30, 2019 03:01 AM
Welcome back Coomer! Thanks for updating us all.

April 30, 2019 03:58 PM
fourdot00
9 posts
0 bikes
congrats on all your successes coomer! it's always good to step back when you can and take some mental health time. glad to know you're doing well, and thank you for all that you do around here.

May 1, 2019 03:34 AM
moose
469 posts
6 bikes
Well, crap, now where am I gonna get help writing all these dang essays?!

May 1, 2019 05:30 PM
Stracknasty
90 posts
0 bikes
Hell yeah I love this site. awesome to hear you're still kickin Coomer

May 2, 2019 02:08 AM
cappuccio
37 posts
3 bikes
Up^

May 3, 2019 11:45 PM
Whoop whoop
He is back
Thanks for the update

All power to Coomer

Nice to hear your doing well

If you need any help I will be happy to help here.

May 5, 2019 05:01 AM
kobe
741 posts
200 bikes
Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!!

May 5, 2019 04:43 PM
2legit
5 posts
0 bikes
cool topic

May 6, 2019 09:27 AM
ToddLakes
2 posts
0 bikes
Coomer! Glad to hear that you're back and doing well!

I am also more than willing to help moderate the site and help you in any way.

Otherwise I can definitely speak to the quality of Moderation from Jehu, who is super active on the FixedGearBicycle subreddit, along with other users on the site who have been very active on PedalRoom (many are in this thread).

I hope your vacation is long and beneficial and here's to PedalRoom being better than ever!

May 6, 2019 02:51 PM
bumping above the trash.

May 8, 2019 07:51 AM
stalag13
126 posts
6 bikes
So good to hear you're well and that this place isn't doomed. A huge welcome back!

May 9, 2019 12:22 PM
GoldToothRat
30 posts
11 bikes
Bumping above SpAm.

More than willing to help with whatever is needed!

May 11, 2019 04:11 PM
DuddyJ
395 posts
42 bikes
Arriba!

May 12, 2019 08:54 PM
Bubba
62 posts
7 bikes
^

May 13, 2019 01:02 PM
"I'm on beautiful vacation right now, but next week I'll get started on tackling some of the issues."

Posted 16 days ago. :/

May 13, 2019 02:43 PM
Scrodzilla
993 posts
2 bikes
^ lol @ Scrod.

Glad to hear you're back, Coomer.
Also wouldn't mind helping out...would love to savagely drop the banhammer on these bots, and Gohstridesthehwip

May 13, 2019 06:14 PM
outofstep
1000 posts
15 bikes