Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Speed or Trendy?

(closed)
What's better to be really fast and ride a road bike or look cool and ride a track/fixie?

Obviously both are fast on the flats but a track bike can't climb and a fixie will max out on a steep decent.

Keep in mind i like both but i obviously prefer true roadie bikes.

Thoughts?

May 9, 2013 01:19 AM
thebaron
19 posts
7 bikes
Dumb ass question.

May 9, 2013 01:26 AM
BklynLOW
223 posts
23 bikes
why? simple question. function over fashion.

May 9, 2013 01:50 AM
thebaron
19 posts
7 bikes
They're both functional and fashionable.

May 9, 2013 01:57 AM
BklynLOW
223 posts
23 bikes
i guess it depends on what type of riding you do.

if you have massive legs a fixie is fine for hills (not in the alps or Rockies), however down an insane hill you will max out. so i'm just wondering what people prefer.

Or why they feel one is better than the other. i would like to have both just for fun.

May 9, 2013 02:00 AM
thebaron
19 posts
7 bikes
I'm pretty sure most people would prefer both. In all honesty, road bikes just cost way more in all areas. Some people who ride track are unable to afford it at the moment. That's just one issue.

The other issue would and could be, some of the reasons you may hear on some vids when riders explain why they like fix geared bikes.

The list can go on and on.

May 9, 2013 02:09 AM
BklynLOW
223 posts
23 bikes
this is how i see it. if youre fast, youre fucking fast

May 9, 2013 02:15 AM
fredspreme
222 posts
8 bikes
Track bikes are fun. Road bikes are fun. Unless you're doing extreme climbs or descents you'll be fine on a fixed gear if you can power through climbs and spin like hell.

May 9, 2013 02:19 AM
True enough, all bikes are fun to me. i like to go fast and push all my limits.

I've seen a lot of full carbon bikes that are either fixed or track on here have i not? i might be wrong. but that seems like they would be expensive.

i ride an alum/carbon roadie bike before i upgraded it.

May 9, 2013 02:50 AM
thebaron
19 posts
7 bikes
There are a lot of cheap carbon track frame knock-offs from China.

May 9, 2013 03:05 AM
thats too bad. cycling should also be about good quality. good parts = good performance.

May 9, 2013 03:10 AM
thebaron
19 posts
7 bikes
Cycling in general should just be fun no matter how cheap or expensive your bike is. As long as you're out riding, that should be the only thing that matters.

May 9, 2013 03:20 AM
BklynLOW
223 posts
23 bikes
Riding a bike is like life pumping through my veins. Climbing, cruising the neighborhood, city, etc. I started riding BMX trails growing up for 11 years. I got into road bikes about 6 years ago but couldn't afford to build one. I then build up a track bike because it was more accessible for me. I go pretty fast on both but just can't sustain my speed on my track bike. But hey, it's a bike. ride it and have a good time.

May 9, 2013 04:48 AM
dwayneb9584
245 posts
7 bikes
Your question does not make any sense whatsoever, but I guess what your trying to say is Should your bike be fast or look good?

I think a bike should have some form of good looks, but not $5000 worth of baller shit.
Being fast is just a matter of genetics and training really. Just go out and ride your bike, it really doesn't matter what you ride or how fast you are.

P.S. In terms of whats faster, A roadie or a track bike? Most times its the roadie who wins.

May 9, 2013 06:38 AM
>in b4 zeb talks shit about track bikes

May 9, 2013 06:58 AM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
I'm gonna have to agree with bklynLOW.
there's always gonna be people wasting money on bikes, but as long as you're down to ride I'm chill. I think it'll just be funnier if you're riding full carbon rigs and can't keep up (and I ain't fast).
as tupac says...I ain't mad at cha.

I can do without dumb hipster elitism, like the frameandfocus dude...but whatever.
at the end of the day, people will ride what they want. so you can just ignore it or support their riding.

May 9, 2013 09:57 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
visp + aerospokes or gtfo.

function over form. but function doesnt mean ugly !!

May 9, 2013 12:06 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
Road bikes and track bikes serve a purpose, but they can be fashionable. I'm not really one for "conversions," or anything like that. I need to get a road bike sometime so I can train and become fit, but also for if I ever get a chance to ride track. Road bikes will always be faster than track bike, due to the fact that you have more gears. Road bikes are endurance and power, while track bikes are just simply power.

I used to ride bikes a lot when I was in elementary school, then skateboards in middle school and high school, and then when college came I road a bike with gears. They only problem with it was maintaining it. I ended up going with fixed geared bikes because it was so simple to build and ride.

In my opinion, you can ride whatever you like, but I'll still probably suggest something more durable and worth the price. I guess I'm sort of a leaf fallen off the bikejerks.tumblr.com. Function>fashion is how things should be, but it doesn't hurt to have something that is nice and won't be sitting somewhere collecting dust and what not.

May 9, 2013 03:40 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
Track is endurance under power. ^
You have to have power on the track, but there are tons of races where you have to have that power consistently for thousands of meters. If you see a 4000m solo TT in person, you'd understand.

May 9, 2013 05:17 PM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
i'd have to agree.
track is super power and amazing endurance. cant imagine outputting that wattage for that long

May 9, 2013 05:24 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
"Cycling in general should just be fun no matter how cheap or expensive your bike is. As long as you're out riding, that should be the only thing that matters."

THIS.

May 9, 2013 06:34 PM
coyote
14 posts
0 bikes
Track bikes are better in every way.

;)

May 14, 2013 07:16 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
dont think there is any better feeling that going flat stick through traffic everything is so fast but at 40kms and hour its all pretty slow

Surreal

May 15, 2013 07:36 AM
BigSkary
7 posts
0 bikes
What BklynLOW said.

May 15, 2013 01:01 PM
chewypurple
92 posts
9 bikes
Excuse you @Outofstep?
Are you accusing me of being some kind of hipster?
Or are you implying that I am always against the whole hipster scene and trend?

If so, please do care to shed some light on the subject, because I can assure you, I'm far from anything that has to do with hipsters. Lol.

May 24, 2013 12:24 AM
yourframeandfocus
113 posts
8 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.