Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Stripping ;)

(closed)
How do I go about stripping the paint off of an aluminum frame? And once the paint is off and the raw alu look is achieved, would I have to apply a layer of clear coat?

Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks.

January 2, 2014 02:00 AM
AhibGendig
10 posts
3 bikes
use aircraft paint remover, and after its done removing, rinse it with water with a very fine sand paper to get it rough, then apply clear coat or you can use aluminum polishing kit

January 2, 2014 02:04 AM
If I am not mistaken. Even if you do put the clearcoat on, it'll rust if you don't put paint on it.

January 2, 2014 09:41 AM
SillyGoose
139 posts
5 bikes
You do need to seal it or it will oxidize fairly quickly. Probably the easiest solution is to have it powder coated clear. That shit's super tough. Hell, you could probably find a metal finishing shop local and have it professionally buffed for <$50, if you didn't feel like f*cking with it.

January 2, 2014 02:28 PM
forger
25 posts
4 bikes
as previously mentioned, use aircraft paint remover. Wear gloves because that sh*t burns! Then take 1500-2000 grit paper and start wet sanding the aluminum. Then you have to apply a clear coat. If you're a backyard painter, I recommend using Spraymax 2x high gloss clear. Wear a mask when spraying that clear, its brutal on your lungs.

January 2, 2014 05:50 PM
Yep, good old aircraft paint remover. If the aluminum is anodized use oven cleaner to strip it then polish with a combo of tarter cream, baking soda and water.

February 27, 2014 10:45 PM
-Gil-L-
8 posts
12 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.