Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Switching to Clipless Pedals. Recommendations?

(closed)
Hi All,

I'm switching over to clipless pedals and I'm going to buy myself a pair of the Chrome Kursk Pro shoes. Anyone have any recommendations for pedals (SPD) for under $60 or so? I've always rode with clips so I'm not to familiar with the quality of any specific clipless pedals. Thanks!

-Miles

August 22, 2013 02:55 PM
Time ATAC, Shimano, or Look.
You can try eBay or Craig's List to see if you can find them for cheap and in good condition.

August 22, 2013 04:23 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
I hear the Shimano 105 pedals are pretty cool but have no experience with them personally. They run pretty cheap online.

August 23, 2013 12:12 AM
andper
41 posts
2 bikes
Time ATAC Aliums you can usually find with cleats around $60. They're not spd but they're compatible with your Chromes.

August 23, 2013 12:16 AM
there's a few threads regarding this topic, don't be shy to look around.
there may be some better information in previous threads

August 23, 2013 01:43 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
LOOK

August 23, 2013 04:13 PM
mad1o1
28 posts
0 bikes
I've got Look pedals

August 25, 2013 04:46 PM
LOOK has made some new MTB pedals that are double-sided. Shimano stuff is pretty good, but I ride Time ATAC.

October 16, 2013 11:13 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
look is its own type of cleat, spd is shimano's

October 17, 2013 07:46 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
Shimano 105 are pretty good, nice and easy to clip into since they're a bit wide

October 17, 2013 04:17 PM
Depends on what you're looking for. A double sided MTB pedal is a good choice with those Kursk's since you're probably doing city riding and will want to clip into them easily without thinking about it.

But Look's are good in their own way too, super stable etc. And I haven't ridden the Chrome shoes, but they'd probably make the stability and stiffness that road pedals like Look KEOs pretty much pointless.

Overall the best thing is maybe to get a cheap-ish pair of something (some model of ATACs, etc), and see if you like them. And if you don't, try a cheapish pair of Look KEOs. And something will feel pretty good, and then you can get the baller version.

FWIW I used to use speedplays, now I switch it up between Sidi Genius + Look KEO or Time XC 6 w/ Sidi Dominators. Just depends on how much walking / running is involved, whether it's snowy, etc.

October 18, 2013 09:06 PM
jamesy
13 posts
5 bikes
I personally like to run Sidi Genius and Look Keo 2 Max. If you're new to clipless, the Shimano M520s + Specialized Body Geometry Sport shoes are nice and cheap (I happen to be selling a setup, shoes are size 42).

October 24, 2013 07:27 AM
riceboy
342 posts
12 bikes
Can anyone in here compare the ATACs to the Crank Brother's? I have eggbeaters/candys but I clip out every now and then on accident riding fixed.

October 24, 2013 05:48 PM
Kevlar
76 posts
3 bikes
ive never disengaged with look keos, if thats any help.
im stupid enough to have experienced big steep hills without brakes too.

October 24, 2013 09:33 PM
johnD
1 post
7 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.