Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Tarmac sl fork

(closed)
first of all, hello guys and girls, this is my first ever post here even tho I follow the forum for some time!
so,
I got recently a Tarmac sl fork and a heat post also from specialized , as well as a full ultegra 6500 group...
my question is, would it be easy/doable to try to make a bike using that front fork?? the steatpost is 27.2 or 27,4 standard so I would have no problem, the thing is the fork is tapered and the low bearing sits kinda high on the top tube, I am gessing if I get a standard tapered frame , this fork would just stick out, fkin up the geometry and looks of any frame...
is my only change of success to get a Tarmac frame??

thx for the help,
keep riding

December 2, 2013 12:28 PM
joaobola
51 posts
2 bikes
tapered forks go in tapered frames. You also need a different lower bearing set than your upper.

i mean it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to build a bike around a fork. and its not an especially remarkable fork. and many new frame sets that you'd buy will come with a fork anyway. Id say just throw the fork in the parts bin and look for a new frame.

December 2, 2013 06:17 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
^ +1
or even sell the fork and use that money to fund a new frameset.

December 2, 2013 10:58 PM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
building a complete around a fork, especially a fork of that caliber is a bad idea...

the only thing that i would build around from the things you have listed is that Ultegra groupo...

get a frame you that fits, is comfortable, fits your needs and you like, if you do the first three most likely end with the latter.

after you get that frame, if the fork fits and you still want to swap it out then go for it, but if doesnt sell it or keep it.

December 3, 2013 07:26 AM
MattyMo
139 posts
14 bikes
thx for the reply guys!

i thought it would be too much of a hassle to try to use this fork anyway, even finding a tapered frame that would take it, or i have read that frames with 44mm head tube could also allow tapered forks, provided i would install a special headset designed for that, i saw some of those headsets on chainreactioncycles

and about using the ultegra group, i have a decathlon 7.1 sport that came for free! that i just installed the group on! is alu 6061 with sloped top tube, dont like the looks so much, i prefer level top tube, and the welds....my god , they are fkin ugly....

about a new frame i think i will pass for now...have to get rid of the crap i have in the basement... but... what do you guys think of PRINCIPIA?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ch/e...

December 3, 2013 10:00 AM
joaobola
51 posts
2 bikes
just buy a caad 9 or 10.

December 3, 2013 06:22 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
i really like cannondale, and would have no problem with getting a caad10 frame set, however i can't seem to find them in my area just as a frameset, are they even available as a frameset only?

have to keep searching.
thx

found sold out
http://www.kinokocycles.com/cannondale-...

December 4, 2013 08:29 AM
joaobola
51 posts
2 bikes
you generally can't find them new as just a frame set. Some shops can order them, but most won't. Just get one on ebay, there are usually plenty.

December 5, 2013 07:49 AM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.