Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Thoughts about Aerospokes

(closed)
So I'm considering buying an Aerospoke for my front wheel. I hear lots of good things and bad things so my feelings are a bit mixed about them. What do you guys think about them?

August 1, 2012 08:33 AM
Takumi
4 posts
0 bikes
Do you want one because it looks "kool"? Yeah they're probably not bad wheels, but there not worth anywhere near what your gonna pay for one. Your paying that much because everyone thinks they're cool and wants one on their fixie. They're really heavy too, you can probably get a hed3 for the same money as an aerospoke on CL, but if you really want one go ahead, if you don't might the weight and the pricetag you might as well and if you don't like it you can easily get your money back by selling on cl.

August 1, 2012 08:45 AM
TRACKER
149 posts
5 bikes
lol somewhat hahaha. but I'm trying to look at everything past the aesthetic sort of aspect of an aerospoke. I mean, it is there as an option for me to consider, might as well lol but thanks though! im sure there has to be some sort of performance behind that price hahaha

August 1, 2012 09:10 AM
Takumi
4 posts
0 bikes
Aerojokes

There's no practical benefit in using aerospokes. They're not aero and they're not very light wheels. Before they were popular I believe they cost somewhere around $80(?) Something like that. If you're thinking of spending that much on a wheel, invest it on something else that's more worthwhile.

August 1, 2012 11:51 AM
good hubs and pretty bomb-proof, but heavy as fuck.

August 1, 2012 04:19 PM
you're better off buying a used hed3 or anything else off craigslist

August 1, 2012 04:26 PM
richardg
315 posts
3 bikes
There is no reason outside of having a "look" for getting an aerospoke or hed 3 front wheel. There is no aerodynamic advantage for most of any of us who do not race and can achieve a sustain effort above 25mph. They are not structurally stronger than a well-built wheel.

Can we stop fooling ourselves with the lame wheel choices already? I mean, its 2012, didn't we have enough of this in 2006?

August 1, 2012 04:37 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
This is a funny thread. haha.

Its your bike so get whatever you want. Building up a wheel can add up so i'd only consider an Aerospoke if I could get it super cheap. Yes, they're heavy but they stay true.

And they garner plenty of hate...as you can see. Up to you.

August 1, 2012 07:25 PM
chewypurple
92 posts
9 bikes
Its not hate if its a fact that there are no advantages : )

August 1, 2012 09:36 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
Well there is one advantage, MASSIVE STREET CRED!!!!

August 1, 2012 10:05 PM
TRACKER
149 posts
5 bikes
LOL!

August 2, 2012 01:15 AM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
i want to add that if there happens to be a "hop" in the wheel...
there is no way to true it, just as with trispokes

August 3, 2012 08:37 PM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
Thoughts?
Expensive, heavy, not that great.

August 22, 2012 07:34 PM
varilight
6 posts
0 bikes
On the technical side of things: its heavy, doesn't provide as much aero advantage as an IO, and it does not provider more structural integrity than a well built wheel (custom or ready-made)

On the non-technical: its a noob wheel.

August 22, 2012 08:07 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
I would think if you wanna skid then there would be an advantage. Putting a heavy wheel on the front I think would lighten up the rear even though your locking it of. Kinda like if you try and jump while fixed. You eat shit cause of the rear wheel and you spinning. Kinda like. Miter cycle balance in the air. Anyways sounds dumb I'm sure but if your wanting to skid a bunch put the areospoke in front. Ps I've never owned one so most likely bad advice

January 24, 2013 04:17 PM
Killerseagull
73 posts
10 bikes
aerojoke

January 24, 2013 04:24 PM
Also consider that for the retail price of a new Aerospoke you could probably get a pretty killer wheel set, which would be much more beneficial, in my opinion. Two wheels are better than one, right?

January 30, 2013 04:55 AM
andper
41 posts
2 bikes
Really depends. My friend has one on his bike year round. Now the shtty thing is the anchorjoke is heavy and flashy. But on the good side its built to be beat on by someone his size. 6'3 220-230 lbs. He also rides throughout the winter here in Ottawa. So the water and salt have no spokes to seize up. As long as he takes a part the hub and cleans its every season he's good. Don't think a 200$ wheel set could take the same amount of beating as a used 200$ aerospoke. Oh yeah the street cred. Gotta remember about the street cred.

January 30, 2013 01:55 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
Heavy. Expensive.

January 30, 2013 04:31 PM
chewypurple
92 posts
9 bikes
Actually not that expensive. You see them from time to time 100-150. Which is cheap for what it is. As for heavy.. Yep sorta on the heavy side but it's not bad.

January 30, 2013 06:46 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
Retail, they go for much higher...like 350-400. I mean...if you can pick one up for 100 by all means get it. As far as weight goes, its heavy. Like, a pound heavier than an ellipse heavy.

For me..not worth the money and weight.

January 31, 2013 12:03 AM
chewypurple
92 posts
9 bikes
jeeez. relaxo.

February 5, 2013 03:52 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
@galileo, the point to these forums is to express everyone's opinion. I have raced, I am not a hipster, I am also a roadie, and I have been riding trackbikes on the street and track since 2003. The opinion that they are heavy and do not offer the aerodynamic advantage is founded on experience from many, many riders. It doesn't mean they shouldn't be used. Enjoy what you have!

Let's close this thread—this topic died in 2006. Let's get past it.

February 5, 2013 09:01 PM
MustangWolf
360 posts
4 bikes
...@galileo You know that Aerospokes have been tested to show that they're probably the worst wheel you could get in terms of stiffness? Nobody in their right mind would drop that much money on an Aerospoke for track use. Also.. its hipsters who buy Aerojokes for the most part in the first place...

All any of these guys are saying is that for the price of an Aerospoke at retail, you can get MUCH better wheels. Those aren't opinions. Those are just plain facts.

Then again I haven't considered the amount of street cred attained by owning an Aerospoke - the logical sense behind having one so I digress.

February 5, 2013 11:24 PM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
*Errorjoke

February 5, 2013 11:55 PM
yourframeandfocus
113 posts
8 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.