Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Tips for 1x10 set-up

(closed)
Hi guys & gals! Looking for a little bit of advice.

I just acquired a Gunnar Crosshairs that is currently set-up for SSCX. Single-speed is cool and all, but I bought it with the goal of adding some gears. Ideally I want to turn it into a 1x10. So I come to ya'll looking for some recommendations on how best to set-up the drivetrain. My knowledge parts wise is pretty limited to track stuff, so any help with parts recommendations would be huge. Do's and Don'ts would be helpful too, as I'm kinda flying blind right now.

Hoping to do the conversion for ~$200, but not really sure what parts are worth it to spend more on and where I can be cheap. So recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks.

October 17, 2015 06:59 PM
pwebb88
506 posts
15 bikes
get a narrow wide front ring. replace the double rings.
thats about it...
assuming you have the rest of the 10spd group already.

October 17, 2015 07:01 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
don't gots nothing! Bike is set-up as a single speed, so I need to pick up a new rear wheel, rear derailler, shifter, new chain and new chainring. So I'm looking for recommendations for set-ups with those parts. From browsing the sit I'm seeing a lot of SRAM rival set-ups, but I'm guessing that they just removed parts for their conversions. I'm starting from nothing which is why I was curious what people who have done it before would recommend.

For instance, why a narrow wide chainring? Does that eliminate the need for a chain guard/chain keeper?

Another question. Would it just be easier to buy a new 105 wheel cassette & derailluer, or are their used products that run cheaper and are comparable quality?
I'm a noob with gears, so thanks a head of time for the help

October 17, 2015 07:17 PM
pwebb88
506 posts
15 bikes
It may be better/cheaper to buy a donar bike for the parts. You get all the parts you need.
The shifter is it for a flat bar or road drops? The dual control levers for drops are expensive. But check online. I have no idea on American prices.
If using shimano, then 105 will be fine. Good quality. Even the step down to Tiagra will be ok. Ultegra is the next up from 105 but will cost more. Unless you find a great deal 2nd hand.
I don't know about sram except the spacing is the same as shimano. It's good quality too.
Because the bike will be a 1X10 you can use a short cage (?) derailleur. Most road derailleurs are short. Which are easier to find. The long ones are for big spread clusters with 3 rings up front.
Hope this helps you in the right direction.

October 18, 2015 03:06 AM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
wolf tooth or race face narrow wide rings are awesome, i'd get a chainkeeper or some sort of guide to keep things in place/bash free and some sram

October 18, 2015 07:00 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
The posts above lack a little detail and appear to be posted without much real world experience.

if you currently have a SS and need an affordable drive train then id recommend apex shifter and a sram X7 RD and any narrow-wide ring. SRAM is really your best option for 1x. exact actuation compatibility between road shifters and mountain derailleurs make compatibility a no brainer. Also, Rival 1 (the cx1 clutched RD, NOT rival 22) rear derailleusr can be had for not much more than the low end mountain bike derailleurs and are really the best option.

A 1x** setup with just a narrow-wide ring and no clutch RD should really have a chain guide. Shimano doesn't have any clutched RD with road shifter compatible options (besides XTR9070 Di2). So if you do go with shimano, definitely get a chain guide.

I currently have a sram cx1 (force1/rival1) drivetrain with wolftooth ring and its flawless.

October 18, 2015 11:22 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
yes no real world experience at all

October 19, 2015 03:08 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
the experience comment comment was directed at a few others. you obviously own a 1x** mtb. I will say that chain guides and bash guards for CX aren't necessary with a clutch.

October 19, 2015 06:25 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
great info so far guys, thank you very much. I've learned a lot just from checking out other peoples bikes. leaning towards just buying a new wheelset and starting out with some used stuff depending on price. that way I'll be able to change the set up around as needed.

will the newer SRAM funtion well with a DT shifter or bar ends? I'm assuming yes but figured i'd ask. I like to change my bars a bit which is why i'm leaning towards DT shifter for the rear.

October 19, 2015 06:42 PM
pwebb88
506 posts
15 bikes
if your DT shifter is friction then it should work fine. If friction is the case than any shimano clutch RD will work as well. That being said, I like SRAM's clutch a lot better. Keep in mine shifting on the downtube while riding off road though. More affordable, but with obvious ergonomic disadvantages.

1x** with a DT shifter would keep everything really clean though! would look kinda cool and keep the handlebar cable routing very tidy. Keep us updated!

October 19, 2015 07:09 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
bashguards are so chill for not replacing chainrings when riding rockier/taller conditions, and totally agree with the sram clutch it's way...clutch. downtube shifters off road give me the nervous sweats

October 19, 2015 07:10 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
DT shifters will not be permanent. Bike will mostly be an adventure/bad weather commuter/long distance bike for the winter, so DT shifters should suffice for now. Bar end shifters are also an option, but I agree that the DT shifter might make for a nice clean look.

So far it sounds like SRAM clutch RD is highly recommended and definitely some sort

Any wheel recommendations? Right now i'm sorta leaning towards h+son or Mavic OP's to ultegra hubs if I can afford it, maybe to 105 or formula hubs to save money. mainly just looking at velomine currently. Love to find some used CK hubs but that would be overkill for my purposes.

October 19, 2015 09:55 PM
pwebb88
506 posts
15 bikes
any sram type 2 MTB RD will do

Any road wheelset. velocity, h+, mavic, etc etc. Maybe some used mavic aksiums tbh. you can find them for CHEAP. but plenty of companies sell OP to 105 or ultegra hubs for cheap. can't go wrong with that

October 19, 2015 10:38 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
'The posts above lack a little detail and appear to be posted without much real world experience.'
Yeah pretty much. Last off road bike I had, index shifting was pretty new and the Shimano Tourney was the RD.
Still better advice than some of the tripe posted in other threads on this site.
What's a narrow wide chainring? Is that for a narrow chain, with a wide chain angle?

October 20, 2015 07:30 PM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
AKfromGC; narrowwide rings have an alternating narrow and wide tooth profile to ensure better chain retention when meshed with the alternating plates on a chain. keeps the chain for coming off on 1x setups or harsh terrain

October 20, 2015 10:24 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
Thanks Moose. A simple but clever idea. Only available with even number tooth chain rings.

October 21, 2015 06:13 AM
AKfromGC
179 posts
2 bikes
finally buying stuff!!! thanks for the help guys, especially Zeb. my drivetrain will function as smoothly as I hope once it all arrives.

Still haven't decided on wheelset. Does anyone here have any preference between 105 or Ultegra hubs or explain to me the difference between the two? Are ultegra hubs just lighter?

Right now leaning towards Archtypes (hard ano) to some Ultegra hubs from Velomine. My other option is to try and find some used CK hubs to some OP's or similar rim for $100-$150 more than the Archtypes/Ultegra wheelset. Guessing Velomine is the way to go but some baller CK hubs would be prettttttttyyyyyyy schhhhhhwwwweeeeeeeeeeeet.

October 22, 2015 06:15 AM
pwebb88
506 posts
15 bikes
difference is mostly weight. the finish quality of ultegra will be a little nicer, but when you're on the bike you won't notice a difference.

October 24, 2015 07:13 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
if you're going to be riding cyclocross style stuff I'd look into the wheelsets from Stan's No Tubes because they're light, sealed bearing, and really strong. plus great customer service

October 24, 2015 10:53 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
careful with which stans wheelset you use!! i have 3 sets of stans wheels, but don't necessary recommend them for cross. If your goal is tubeless, the stans MTB wheels MIGHT be a good option for converting non-tubeless tires to tubeless, but will be incompatible with tubeless specific CX tires. The stans road wheels will be compatible with tubeless CX tires but are prone to burping. If you're not planning on riding tubeless than they'll do an alright job. having dented the brake track on two sets of stans Alpha road rims, i would be hesitant to ride them in cross where bottoming out tires is a little more common. also the H+ options will be marginally cheaper.

I can't speak for the grail or iron cross rims which are made specifically for cyclocross, but if you're running rim brakes than those won't work anyway.

October 24, 2015 11:40 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
Thanks for the help folks, bike is set-up and running great. DT shifter worked out pretty damn well! Gonna ride it all winter and hopefully next spring get a brifter or Bar-end shifter and get it painted. Also coming from riding fixed-gear only for the last few years, the 1x10 set-up is super nice and a great first step into gears!

thanks again, I'm off to find some hills & gravel!

[img]/f/8daaf9b884_1.jpg[/img]
Attached Photos:
Post photo

November 8, 2015 08:05 PM
pwebb88
506 posts
15 bikes
should get bar end shifters. ! :)

November 8, 2015 08:39 PM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
Looks killer!

November 8, 2015 11:52 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.