Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Track Frame Upgrade. Suggestions?

(closed)
I've owned a couple of fixed gear bikes, but now that i have purchased a road bike i don't see why i should keep my fixed gear bike designed for the streets. Sure, i LOVE my Cinelli Histogram, but i want something more track oriented. Something That performs well on the track and can withstand a street ride every now and then.

I've been looking at a couple and these two stood out the most.
[b]Cervelo T1[/b]
[b]Look al 464 p[/b]

Anyone have any experience with these or another track frame that they would like to suggest?
Perhaps the Low// Track Standard?
All help is appreciated.

January 23, 2013 12:49 AM
iRideFixed
193 posts
17 bikes
Don't know man. Histograms pretty good on track and off. :P

January 23, 2013 12:54 AM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
T1 is nice though. But definitely screams STEAL ME hahaha. Hope you don't plan on locking up

January 23, 2013 12:55 AM
mktng
816 posts
22 bikes
A Cervelo T1 is the way to go. I just picked one up myself, they're amazing in every aspect.

January 23, 2013 01:04 AM
sublime
256 posts
5 bikes
Obviously it's not complete shit on the track, but it was designed to be ridden in an urban environment.

This bike will never leave my sight, don't worry about that.

January 23, 2013 01:07 AM
iRideFixed
193 posts
17 bikes
Why go to the T1 from the T3?

January 23, 2013 01:08 AM
iRideFixed
193 posts
17 bikes
my suggestion: legs upgrade!

January 23, 2013 01:26 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
Was that supposed to be funny?
If you're not helping out don't comment at all.

January 23, 2013 01:37 AM
iRideFixed
193 posts
17 bikes
my comment is probably the ONLY legitimate answers to have come up from all these upgrade/_____ or ______ threads.

January 23, 2013 08:28 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
"now that i have purchased a road bike i don't see why i should keep my fixed gear bike designed for the streets"

I don't understand why you're looking to "upgrade" your track bikes for the street when you're saying you don't find the need to keep what you already have.

January 23, 2013 09:01 AM
joserheo
222 posts
9 bikes
[b]We've had this sort of discussion so many times it is lame. Just get a euro-Asia Imports Bareknuckle. They are made in Venezia Italy from mitered/TIG welded Dedacciai COM 12.5 double-butted cro-mo tubing, features unmistakeable Columbus drop-outs. It's much lighter than some aluminum frames (Dolan Pre Cursa is one example). It's straight up steel and can take a beating on the street and is light and stiff enough for the track.

Although, those LOW// bikes are awesome, because they have you give them your measurements and they build the bike to specifically fit your body. And a custom track bike is better, but being able to afford it is complicated. It's best to try out a bike with geometry that works well with your body.[/b]

January 23, 2013 05:35 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
LOW// isn't custom.

January 23, 2013 07:52 PM
yeah idk where everyone is getting the whole "low//'s are custom" thing from. they are handmade frames that come in stock sizes. I'm sure you could get a custom one, but the ones posted are all just stick sizes.

but seriously, you have a good frame that CAN be used on the track. anymore than where you're at, you're just getting into the "bling"/unnecessary factor. not trying to sound like a grouch, but just seems like people have a bad case of upgrade-itis.

January 24, 2013 12:17 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
@Joserheo
I'm referring to the mash being designed for the street. I'm looking for a track designed bike.

@outofstep
I'm not saying it's not functional on the track. It's just that i am now emptying my stable keeping only 3 bikes. (Track, Fixed Commuter, Road) Leaving me with some money to upgrade. I don't see why you have such a big problem with me spending MY money to get an actual track frame.

January 24, 2013 12:52 AM
iRideFixed
193 posts
17 bikes
Dude you really have to try on completes to see with geo you prefer the most. Everyone can recommend you different types of frames, but in the end, its going to be your opinion that matters the most right?

January 24, 2013 02:18 AM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
Well to try some out i'd have to have some frames in mind. That is what this is for.

January 24, 2013 02:31 AM
iRideFixed
193 posts
17 bikes
Well I assume you have a fair knowledge of track already? So I'm sure you know that there's the tk2, the blue tr250, sworks/2011 langster pro (what I have and love), trek t1, super pista/pista concept, the vig, and all those small name branded frames like LOW, Dosnoventa, Engine no 11 sprinter, superb sprint, all city thunderdome (etc.).
The list just keeps going on and on and on. I would say that sticking with the big brands is a safe choice just because they have the bigger budget to put more R&D into their framesets.

January 24, 2013 03:25 AM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
Just get a Leggenda and call it a day. I'd gladly take a leggenda over the cervelo and look track frames you've listed. I'd definitely take it over a low.

January 24, 2013 04:01 AM
sin91
54 posts
4 bikes
I am aware of those frames, really like those Dosnoventas but i believe they are made to be ridden in an urban environment? and i also think their is a waiting list for those. As for engine 11, i dont even know much about them. I have 2 friends with the Look and Cervelo and they both swear by it. I know i'm going to get shit about paying for the name (brand), but i want assured quality.

January 24, 2013 05:09 AM
iRideFixed
193 posts
17 bikes
Although the look is nice, it uses 6000 series alu as opposed to the 7000 series alu that all of its competitors use.

January 24, 2013 06:45 AM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
And some, but not all of the Dosnoventas are urban. Pretty sure the Houston is track?? Or w/e the model with the crazy seatstays is called

January 24, 2013 06:46 AM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
So cervelo uses 7000? What exactly is the difference?
I believe youre talking about the Tokyo. Thats like +3000, too much right now.

January 24, 2013 07:41 AM
iRideFixed
193 posts
17 bikes
"6000-series is aluminum alloyed mainly with magnesium, and tends to be a bit more ductile (for instance, it would be more apt to wilt or buckle than to snap, compared to 7000-series).

7000-series aluminum is alloyed primarily with zinc. It tends to be harder and stronger but perhaps more brittle. Excellent material for chainrings due to its hardness, too.

The T6 refers to the degree of heat treatment. I'm not a metallurgical expert, so that's about all I have to contribute.

There are good frames made with both materials."

copypasta from bikeforums; you can also manipulate 6000 series to ride similar to 7000 series as well, but for the most part you see 7000 series alu on higher end bike frames in general as opposed to the 6000 series.

the cervelo also incorporates smartwall, which is what they call filling in parts of the frame that undergoes more stress with more aluminum to make it even stiffer. When you compare the t1 to the look, imo the T1 will be the better frameset overall

January 24, 2013 08:02 AM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
Woah chemistry lesson, while im in chemistry class. Thanks for the help, im slowly edging over to the cervelo. Only thing i dont like is it is red. might just get it custom painted since it will be mine for a LONG while. Might just ask another cyclist/chemistry teacher to explain the metals better. Thanks again, any framesets around the same value and quality you know of?

January 24, 2013 04:53 PM
iRideFixed
193 posts
17 bikes
2011 langster pro/sworks Langster is comparable to the t1. Idk I really like how the red looks but everyone has their own taste. I think it basically says that 7000 series ALU will more resistant to flexing

January 24, 2013 10:46 PM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.