Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Upcoming Changes

(closed)
Hey guys,
Long time no chat! Life has kept me way too busy over the last few months, but that's going to change. My injuries are mostly healed, I'm feeling healthy both mentally and physically, and my work contract is ending. So I'm going to focus on Pedal Room again, which I'm thrilled about!

You'll notice "flag" links on forum posts and bikes now. You can use these to flag content that's hateful, spam, violates rules, etc. Once content is flagged, I'll take action, though it might not be immediate, as I'm still quite busy.

Which brings me to my next point - moderators. In the near future, I'm hoping to get a few people to help out with moderation, choosing new featured bikes, etc. I feel like things have gotten a bit out of control lately, and I apologize for that. Hopefully with some help and my new free time (and ability to type without pain again, finally!), things can remain in check and I can focus more on improving the site, building out new features, working on the mobile app, etc.

So yeah, that's what's going on with me and the site. There will be lots of upcoming changes, and I'm going to be around a lot more. I apologize for my absence and have big plans for the future! I'd love to hear what you guys think about moderation, the state of Pedal Room, what you want to see in the site, and what the site needs most. Cheers!

November 25, 2013 05:21 PM
Coomer
98 posts
23 bikes
glad to hear you're doing well

i'm a big fan of the great builds here, and lurking has done a lot to help me improve when it comes to bike maintenance and all that jazz

your work is very appreciated!

November 25, 2013 08:40 PM
cap
67 posts
1 bike
hey coomer, glad to hear you're doing better!
it was a little concerning not seeing you around and stuff.
but that's good news! also, the flag and moderator idea is good.
we should all try and keep the unnecessary stuff to a minimum.

November 25, 2013 10:17 PM
outofstep
997 posts
15 bikes
Thanks guys! Any more input/ideas/suggestions?

November 26, 2013 03:54 PM
Coomer
98 posts
23 bikes
being able to quote/reply to specific posts within a thread might be helpful, especially in the larger topics

nothing else really jumps out at me though- the site's pretty damn streamlined

November 26, 2013 08:53 PM
cap
67 posts
1 bike
bring back Akuma.... ??? :P

November 26, 2013 11:42 PM

being able to quote/reply to specific posts within a thread might be helpful, especially in the larger topics

nothing else really jumps out at me though- the site's pretty damn streamlined

Good idea! I'll see what I can do to make that happen.

bring back Akuma.... ??? :P

Ha! Pretty sure no-one wants that!

November 29, 2013 05:33 PM
Coomer
98 posts
23 bikes
Notifications from the Marketplace and General Discussion from your own post!

December 4, 2013 02:25 AM
AznChiliSauce
103 posts
9 bikes
what about the option to delete your own thread?
people probably won't use it, I think...but I would use it for FS threads so that there would be a little less threads to clog up the marketplace?

and also, maybe some automatic code buttons for images for linking?

December 4, 2013 03:15 AM
outofstep
997 posts
15 bikes
Will probably be good to add in a section, say featured bike shop? or like cool bike shops in most countries which will aid whenever one is about to do some travelling?

sorry if its bad. just my 2cents.

December 7, 2013 09:55 AM
kaede11
121 posts
7 bikes
Oooh, sticky threads for common topics would be cool. Like for example a video thread pinned to the top of the forum, and if someone wants to share a video they just post it in that thread instead of starting a new one. Maybe a reviews type one where people can ask about others experiences with certain products. A chat thread could be cool too just a place for people to post about random topics and talk about them. It could help cut down on clutter, and they might help keep the forums more active.

December 12, 2013 05:27 PM
GromCake
208 posts
11 bikes
Could even turn something like this into a sticky thread, a suggestion box kind of thing.

December 12, 2013 05:27 PM
GromCake
208 posts
11 bikes
being able to "up" or "down" vote individual posts. Also, being able to load a video directly into a post not just a hyperlink.

December 12, 2013 08:16 PM

Notifications from the Marketplace and General Discussion from your own post!

Done! http://blog.pedalroom.com/forum-topic-notifications

what about the option to delete your own thread?
people probably won't use it, I think...but I would use it for FS threads so that there would be a little less threads to clog up the marketplace?

and also, maybe some automatic code buttons for images for linking?

I like the idea of being able to delete your own thread. There's just a bit of work I'd have to do before I could make this happen, but it's definitely do-able and I hope to get to it soon.

And the code buttons for image linking should be do-able too. I've been meaning to clean up the entire UI experience with the new post and new reply forms and make them easier to use. Again, hopefully I'll get to this soon.

Will probably be good to add in a section, say featured bike shop? or like cool bike shops in most countries which will aid whenever one is about to do some travelling?

sorry if its bad. just my 2cents.

This is something I'd like to see at some point, though I'm not entirely sure how moderation would be handled, or how to tie it in to the UI. I've been meaning to work on location-based features and the member map and get it functional again (Google changed their API terms of use and now I can no longer use it and haven't had time to update to a new map API) and perhaps I can tie this in there.

Oooh, sticky threads for common topics would be cool. Like for example a video thread pinned to the top of the forum, and if someone wants to share a video they just post it in that thread instead of starting a new one. Maybe a reviews type one where people can ask about others experiences with certain products. A chat thread could be cool too just a place for people to post about random topics and talk about them. It could help cut down on clutter, and they might help keep the forums more active.

I'll have to think about this. I feel like a single thread with too much information (like reviews of dozens of products scattered across a bunch of posts) can be harder to navigate. However, some topics could probably be made into stickies. What's everyone else think here?

being able to "up" or "down" vote individual posts. Also, being able to load a video directly into a post not just a hyperlink.

Would you want forum topics and replies to be re-ordered based on ranking as well? There used to be code in place to allow topic replies to be ranked based on votes, but it slowed down the database drastically (my bad, I could fix in the future) and I thought that it made following certain topics a lot harder.

As far as inline videos go, I'd prefer to keep them as links, as they slow down pages a lot, and I want to keep things as fast as possible.

Keep the suggestions coming! :-)

December 17, 2013 07:55 PM
Coomer
98 posts
23 bikes
When searching for threads, have a filter thing. To seperate general discussion from the market place

December 17, 2013 10:49 PM

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.