Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Upcoming Pedal Room Marketplace Discussion

(closed)
Hi all,
It's been a crazy past few months, but I'm finally beginning to reign everything in with my life and get some stuff done. I've been working on the marketplace off and on, but mostly I've been working on stuff behind the scenes to get the site's backend code up to date/good coding standards. That's finally at a good spot, and I'm going to be rolling out new stuff in the next few days.

As far as the marketplace, what would you guys like to see? So far, it's a forum-style marketplace with an integrated feedback system. User location is required to post, and there will be specific rules.

Specifically, I have a few questions:

1. What format works best for you guys? A standard forum format for posting items for sale/wanted? One idea I had was for users to check a checkbox if their bike is for sale and it shows up in the marketplace automatically, but I'm not sure about that. I don't like all the bikes with "for sale" in the title and would rather support a for-sale option (that's searchable).

2. How do you all feel we should control spam and people registering only to post their stuff in the marketplace? I'm particularly concerned about new people registering, selling things, and ripping members off. I also want to prevent commercial vendors from over-running the marketplace. Any good ideas here?

3. Do you think prices should be required? I hate seeing huge lists of parts for sale with "best offer" pricing, but maybe that's just me.

If you've got anything else to add, I'd love to hear it. I'm open to all ideas and will respond to everyone. I'm excited to get this thing launched!

November 12, 2012 11:42 PM
Coomer
101 posts
23 bikes
Answer to Q2: Do you have any friends or users in mind that are frequent user and you could make into a moderator to delete spam and enforce rules? Also you could make a requirement where the user needs to be a member for a certain amount of time(like a month or something) to sell.

Answer to Q3: Prices should be required I hate making offers on parts unless it's on ebay.

Just an idea you should have a disclaimer for the marketplace kind of like this "PedalRoom Management assumes no responsibility for any outcome resulting from the use of this service."so users don't hold you liable for botched transactions. You culd also encourage people to use paypal so both parties (buyer and seller) are protected.

November 13, 2012 12:59 AM
adrian13346
89 posts
6 bikes
[quote]Answer to Q2: Do you have any friends or users in mind that are frequent user and you could make into a moderator to delete spam and enforce rules?[/quote]

I have a few people in mind, yes. And I'd also like to integrate community flagging (so if enough random people flag something it gets escalated to moderators/management)

[quote]Also you could make a requirement where the user needs to be a member for a certain amount of time(like a month or something) to sell.[/quote]

It's definitely do-able, though it may discourage a few legitimate new members from selling. The rules could always be changed as well if they end up not working out so well.

[quote]Answer to Q3: Prices should be required I hate making offers on parts unless it's on ebay.[/quote]

I tend to agree. How's everyone else feel on this?

And as far as the disclaimer, that's a good idea. I'll definitely have one of those as well as buyer/seller protection tips such as using Paypal. Thanks for the reply, anyone else have any more input?

November 13, 2012 06:38 PM
Coomer
101 posts
23 bikes
1. I'm personally not too educated in forum formats and all that stuff, but that checkbox idea sounds pretty cool and convenient. I was possibly thinking about a sub-forum for classifieds (for sale ads)? just so there will be threads within this sub-forum for each item so that they're separate and have their own respective discussions. just an idea though.
oh! and how about pages? you know, instead of one long page?

2. I also feel that people should have to introduce themselves! haha well, if more people agree about this? and maybe a requirement of like 20 posts or something? people should be coming in to join a community first, and not trying to find another place to make another dollar. I also agree on the moderators, just because there needs to be some clean up with some of the non-sense that comes up sometimes. and also to kind of keep the sense of community true within this site.

3. I personally feel that a price should be required. all someone really needs to do is say something like, "selling my giro atmos for $80 or shoot me an offer." this gives people an idea of what they have to work with. whenever I see "make me an offer," all I really wanna do is low ball them hard...and I'm sure this is in everyone's mind too.

lastly, just wanna thank you on making this whole site. it's awesome as it is and is one of my favorite and most visited sites. it's a lot more interactive and aesthetically leasing compared o other cycling sites. I understand that you're a man of many abilities and responsibilities, so I know a forum is not the biggest concern in your life. so just take all the input and choose what you feel is more deserving.
good work so far!:]

November 13, 2012 07:41 PM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
[quote]1. I'm personally not too educated in forum formats and all that stuff, but that checkbox idea sounds pretty cool and convenient. I was possibly thinking about a sub-forum for classifieds (for sale ads)? just so there will be threads within this sub-forum for each item so that they're separate and have their own respective discussions. just an idea though.
oh! and how about pages? you know, instead of one long page?[/quote]

Yeah, the only issue I see with the checkbox for bikes for sale is that I don't know how to surface the bikes for sale mixed in with existing for sale forum posts, and how the bikes would get surfaced up so they don't get buried over time. And yeah, a sub-forum is what I'm thinking, with separate threads for each item for sale. As far as pages, I plan to implement pagination for forum posts shortly.

[quote]2. I also feel that people should have to introduce themselves! haha well, if more people agree about this? and maybe a requirement of like 20 posts or something? people should be coming in to join a community first, and not trying to find another place to make another dollar. I also agree on the moderators, just because there needs to be some clean up with some of the non-sense that comes up sometimes. and also to kind of keep the sense of community true within this site.[/quote]

I like the introduction idea. I planned on having a "bio" area that sellers fill out while creating their first for sale post, which could have links to other sites to show credibility (such as eBay).

The only problem I see with a minimum post requirement is that it creates a perverse incentive, in that people might simply post useless, non-constructive posts in order to hit the limit. I'll think more on that... But yep, moderators will definitely be a good addition.

[quote]3. I personally feel that a price should be required. all someone really needs to do is say something like, "selling my giro atmos for $80 or shoot me an offer." this gives people an idea of what they have to work with. whenever I see "make me an offer," all I really wanna do is low ball them hard...and I'm sure this is in everyone's mind too.[/quote]

Makes sense to me. I feel similarly.

[quote]lastly, just wanna thank you on making this whole site. it's awesome as it is and is one of my favorite and most visited sites. it's a lot more interactive and aesthetically leasing compared o other cycling sites. I understand that you're a man of many abilities and responsibilities, so I know a forum is not the biggest concern in your life. so just take all the input and choose what you feel is more deserving.
good work so far!:][/quote]

Thanks so much for the kind words! It's great to see that people are enjoying the site. :-)

November 15, 2012 06:55 AM
Coomer
101 posts
23 bikes
Anyone else have any more input? It's getting close! :-)

November 18, 2012 01:03 AM
Coomer
101 posts
23 bikes
I agree with having to post a price. Replying to posts via PM only. You can only renew your posts every two weeks or every other page so that the same page isn't filled with the same stuff two or three times. Possibly a feedback section as well which would help out legit members a lot. Is there a way that we can sync our eBay accounts like the Nike sb market place? This was potential buyers can research the sellers.

November 18, 2012 01:48 AM
sin91
54 posts
4 bikes
[quote]I agree with having to post a price. Replying to posts via PM only. You can only renew your posts every two weeks or every other page so that the same page isn't filled with the same stuff two or three times. Possibly a feedback section as well which would help out legit members a lot. Is there a way that we can sync our eBay accounts like the Nike sb market place? This was potential buyers can research the sellers.[/quote]

Thanks for the input! Just curious, why do you think replies should be via PM only? So that replies don't bump up posts?

And I love the idea of only being able to renew every so often too, I think that would be great.

As far as syncing up with eBay, I'll have to look into that. I'll see how the Nike Sb marketplace does it and do some research.

November 18, 2012 06:10 PM
Coomer
101 posts
23 bikes
Yes, replies via PM only as not crowd the thread unless you incorporate a whisper function. I really like the marketplace setup on the serotta forum/pace line forum. They enforce proper selling and buying etiquette.

November 18, 2012 08:45 PM
sin91
54 posts
4 bikes
I'll have to take a look at how they've got theirs setup. Thanks for the input!

November 20, 2012 05:46 PM
Coomer
101 posts
23 bikes
Greetings from the land of velospace, where I am a moderator. I have to strongly agree with integrating some sort of feedback system. We recently had a small tiff in the comments section of a bike. One user was accusing another of being a "deadbeat ebayer", apparently he had skipped out of paying for an item the user was selling. I told him to keep it out of the comments and to pms. It makes me wish we had a feedback system implemented.

November 25, 2012 09:26 PM

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.