Home
Forums > General Discussion >

What kind of fixed gear bike should I get?

(closed)
Hi all!

I am normally a road cyclist but am getting into fixed gear biking, which I enjoy a lot for track or 20-60 km rides. Am a 5'3 woman, with the following ideal bike sizing according to measurements: top tube 50-51 and 48-49 legs.

I have had multiple concussions due to sports and can't have my neck too inclined towards the back when riding. However, I love the speed and agility of track bikes. I know, complicated.. My budget for frame is max $800 and complete bike $1500.

Was contemplating a 46' (52 top tube) Leader 725 but unsure if it is the right geometry for me... Any recommendations? Would be very useful! Thanks!

August 5, 2013 07:33 PM
kilo tt

August 5, 2013 07:47 PM
kilo tt

August 5, 2013 08:01 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
Kilo TT.

August 5, 2013 08:02 PM
SillyGoose
139 posts
5 bikes
Wow, concensus here...Is it heavy? Found it for 399$ online, all built...very cheap... Is it a fast bike?
Thanks again!

August 5, 2013 08:06 PM
It's a steel bike. It'll have some weight to it. Then again, if we follow up with what you said on your budget, you'll have plenty of money left for upgrades if you find it necessary. It's a nice bike for a good price.

August 5, 2013 08:11 PM
SillyGoose
139 posts
5 bikes
ok great. how about Aventon frames?

August 5, 2013 08:12 PM
Don't know much about those. But for the price.. A lot of people seems to like them. But then again, Kilo is 400 for complete. Aventon is $350 for frameset.

August 5, 2013 08:16 PM
SillyGoose
139 posts
5 bikes
the kilo tt is literally the bang for your buck track/fixed gear bike, with it being $400, and you have extra $500 left to upgrade it

and no it is not heavy, it is pretty light for a steel frame. and no to the aventon frame, its another trendy frame that popped up out of no where

August 5, 2013 08:56 PM
Thanks guys. Will most likely get the Kilo TT then. What kinds of upgrades would you recommend? Crank? Wheels?

Out of curiosity, why not the Aventon? The measurements look perfect for me so it was tempting.

August 5, 2013 09:12 PM
definitely the cranks (sram omnium, dura ace, and sugino 75), and depends on what kind of wheels you want, mavic open pro or h+son tb14 laced to formula hub is the best for low budget

why not the aventon frame? youll spend more on buying separate parts, than buying a complete bike

August 5, 2013 09:18 PM
I would upgrade the cranks to omniums or sugino 75's. Dura Ace is pretty expensive but the hubs are really nice. I would also consider getting a better stem especially if the one that comes on the stock bike doesn't fit you comfortably. This goes for the saddle as well.

The Aventon is also aluminum (including the fork). Steel is a much better material choice if you're riding on the streets and if you're looking for something that's more durable. Its strength isn't compromised by much if/when it gets dented.

August 5, 2013 09:23 PM
you should also think about getting a thomson seatpost. the quality is excellent, and it comes with a little pouch :3

August 5, 2013 10:04 PM
You should also change the pedals that come on the Kilo, they're not very comfy lol. Personally I prefer MKS Touring pedals rather than MKS Sylvan track pedals cause they're wider.

Also get decent straps. Wabi straps are very good quality and only like $50 if I remember correctly, that's including the shipping as well. Or if anything get Cadence straps or Plemon straps.

August 5, 2013 10:09 PM
richardg
315 posts
3 bikes
Or get clipless.

August 5, 2013 10:22 PM
SillyGoose
139 posts
5 bikes
Kilo TT would be your best bet. It's definitely worth the price compared to some frame sets or bikes out there for around the same price.

If you're looking for something that has more modern tube sizing to where you can use a long range of components, then I would go for the All-City Big Block.

August 5, 2013 10:59 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
Thanks for all the great advice! So I get that on a fixed gear bike, aside from frame, money should be spent on crank, wheels, seat tube and pedal straps. Is that correct?

August 6, 2013 04:04 AM
saddle/seatpost. not seat tube, and different pedals/clipless

August 6, 2013 04:12 AM
You should get the sugino 75 crank rather then the omniums

August 6, 2013 04:27 AM
depends on your budget but, check your local craigslist, youll find some awesome deals

August 6, 2013 04:31 AM
like this buy kilo tt complete
make sure you know about the c-c measurement difference

upgrade in this order:

1. saddle/seat post
2.crankset/chain/cog/lockring (omniums on ebay are >$200)
3.stem/handlebars
4.wheelset/tires/tubes (open pro's laced to formula hubs are $200 on velomine)

this is assuming you're using your normal pedals from another bike (hopefully clip less or at least with a single strap set up)

then you will have best combo of price/performance

take a look at mine, and clubofstars, and rushings' kilo tt's

August 6, 2013 06:18 AM
Rzjarvis93
127 posts
3 bikes
You can build up a pretty killer Kilo TT with your budget. Remember that you can always switch frames along the line once you have quality parts!

August 6, 2013 10:10 AM
brembilla
429 posts
8 bikes
You guys are great. Thanks a bunch!! Will post a pic of my bike when I am done :)

August 6, 2013 02:02 PM
How much should I pay for the Sugino crankset?

August 6, 2013 02:06 PM
Some people spend around $200.00 or so, but if you can get them for under, then that's awesome. Or any high end crank set for cheaper than what it originally is. At one point, I got Dura-Ace FC-7710 crank arms, chain ring, and bottom bracket for around $170.00.

Omniums are pretty cool, but some people might suggest that you upgrade the bottom bracket.

August 6, 2013 04:01 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.