Home
Forums > General Discussion >

wheel building

(closed)
so this is what I'm curious about, I recently overhauled a novatec hub, that's been in use a while. and I have plans to lace it to a Mavic OP, and I noticed that they were holding very tight to the flanges, and it looks like they've held a moderate amount of stress, if I were to lace them 3x like they were, would it be in my best interest to lace them EXACTLY as they were? If I didn't what would happen? would it crack the flanges or the whole hub be compromised? should I just order a new formula for my front wheel, and go from there? any advice would be greatly appreciated. I threw the rear away, it was trashed, but the front looks acceptable IMO!
Attached Photos:
Post photo Post photo

February 3, 2014 09:50 PM
dosha
45 posts
10 bikes
I've only built a few wheelsets, so I am by no means an expert, but what I'm seeing looks to be typical. Those grooves aren't a sign of excessive spoke stress, just normal wear. Every hubset I've laced/de-laced end up with those grooves, even after short use. More recently..I have a set of Phils that have similar grooves and I relaced them in the opposite direction and haven't had any problems. I think you'd be fine to lace the hub in either direction.

Again, this is only my opinion based on my experience. Cheers!

February 3, 2014 11:01 PM
Bnut43
207 posts
10 bikes
Personally, I would remove any doubt from the situation and re-lace them with spokes in the same direction as they were.

February 4, 2014 01:45 AM
Scrodzilla
1005 posts
2 bikes
Looks ok, from what i can see is just normal indents, i'd only worry if you find any hairline cranks forming.

February 4, 2014 06:33 AM
jbrosinski
8 posts
6 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.