Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Why all the hype over Cannondale Tracks?

(closed)
To all the Americans out there, why is it that Cannondale Tracks appear to be THE track bike to have in the USA? I'm from Europe and there's not really a whole load of hype around them over here. There's a couple on Ebay right now for 3k and 4.5k, and I know that there are people on here who would pay that. My question is why? What makes them so great? Also, what's the history of them? Cheers

July 21, 2014 07:28 PM
Yoink
24 posts
2 bikes
They used to be built in America? I think that's pretty much it. They had pretty state of the art technology when they came out 20 years ago but.. That was also 20 years ago. Great looking bikes but I'm never going to be willing to spend $2k on a well used 20+ year old aluminum frame. The rest is just street cred I think. Hype points yo!

July 21, 2014 08:44 PM
StevenPreusser
160 posts
10 bikes
"Street cred," aka you should own one cuz riders who run blogs and shoot videos of them bombing hills used to own them.
Good looking frame, clean welds, nice colors.
Never wanted to own one because of how much they get around.
And for being 20+ year aluminum, who knows what type of shit they've gone through...

July 22, 2014 04:14 AM
outofstep
997 posts
15 bikes
Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. I do think they look pretty clean, especially the welds, and the teal colour that most of them have is really nice. But yeah, for the kind of money they go for there are much nicer frames out there. But hey, haterzz gonna etc..

July 22, 2014 11:51 AM
Yoink
24 posts
2 bikes
New sticker idea: "But hey, haterzz gonna etc..."

July 22, 2014 03:21 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
basically a collector's item

July 22, 2014 05:57 PM
richardg
315 posts
3 bikes
@Rushing haha, sounds good to me. You can only put it on your white front Aerospoke though...

@richardg yeah, that's what I thought initially. I was just wondering why they go for so much money. Anyone got an idea on how many were made?

July 22, 2014 06:00 PM
Yoink
24 posts
2 bikes
Fur sure.

People seem to go for them only because they are so rare to come by in certain sizes. Plus, the fact that they no longer make that particular style of the Cannondale track bike. It's somewhat like how 3Rensho track bikes are. Almost everyone in their entire cycling period in life might have wanted one, but give up because there's such a high demand for them as well as the idea that no one id simply going to sell it for cheap or trade it. Another thing to take into account is if a collector were to try and buy one for the large amount the seller is asking, usually the originally components are included on the bike; which makes it BOOM!

July 22, 2014 07:47 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
I don't know, people just love wasting money. It's human nature.

July 23, 2014 04:30 AM
IsntNigel
32 posts
1 bike
All from people who don't appear to ride CDale Tracks...

They are iconic American craftsmanship and were an interesting game-changer back in the day. Yes: there are many, less expensive, well-built track bikes you can buy today for less than the market value of the Cannondale Track. That certainly doesn't change the appeal of riding a 20 year old classic that still holds it's own and continues to influence track bikes built today. The bike feels great to ride and is beautiful to look at. The "you can buy cheaper" or the "I'd never pay that much" responses to the premium price of vintage Cannondales get tiring. Some collect/appreciate/ride vintage bikes (or vintage cars, or vintage motorcycles, etc.) and gain tremendous pleasure from doing so. You don't have to understand. And this from someone who rides a Cannondale Track erry-damn-day and has absolutely no street cred.

July 23, 2014 05:08 AM
A-Danger
166 posts
68 bikes
I understand it, but I have given up hope for owning something made here in my home land. Unless I come across one that is my size at a yard sale for less than $1,000.

Then I can die happily.

July 23, 2014 06:31 AM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
I'd happily take one if it landed in my lap in my size for a bargain, but I'm not going to go out looking for one. If I'm gonna spend that money on a bike, NJS all the way :P

July 23, 2014 09:35 AM
Yoink
24 posts
2 bikes
@ A-Danger I get the argument for comparing it to owning a classic car or motorcycle, but do you really need 10 of them? Admittedly not all at the one time, but still :P

July 23, 2014 09:37 AM
Yoink
24 posts
2 bikes
It has worked out well for me (and all of the others that now own these CDale Tracks) so far.

July 23, 2014 12:33 PM
A-Danger
166 posts
68 bikes
56 for sale complete for 900(could get it for less)
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bik/4494122537.html

July 23, 2014 04:23 PM
FeFst
92 posts
5 bikes

July 23, 2014 11:58 PM
IsntNigel
32 posts
1 bike
Can also be seen here: http://instagram.com/p/pwpusuMHXn/

July 24, 2014 12:11 AM
A-Danger
166 posts
68 bikes
But $3,000...

July 24, 2014 12:53 AM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
Tracko doesn't think it's worth it as well.

July 24, 2014 02:50 AM
IsntNigel
32 posts
1 bike
^ Nobody does. That's why it's still for sale. The market speaks.

July 24, 2014 03:17 AM
A-Danger
166 posts
68 bikes
The one on Ebay.. Drilled for a break? Did he do that? Or all of them are?

July 25, 2014 12:17 AM
FeFst
92 posts
5 bikes
Why is it that nobody who rides fixed gear bikes can spell brake?

July 25, 2014 03:47 AM
Scrodzilla
1000 posts
3 bikes
They are that irrelevant that spelling doesn't even matter?

July 25, 2014 07:45 AM
outofstep
997 posts
15 bikes
I wouldn't call them irrelevant. Rode brakeless for about 3 years cause hey, I was 16. Then I had one too many close calls and threw a brake on. Save yo teeth

July 25, 2014 12:23 PM
Yoink
24 posts
2 bikes
A-Danger hit it right on the head imo. CDale Track is nostalgic, rides well, performs great, looks really good, and is very often imitated 20+ years after its introduction. They just don’t make’em like they used to.

July 25, 2014 02:56 PM

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.