Home
Forums > General Discussion >

Why do you build your ride ?

(closed)
This is not to those of you who do this as keep aka paying the rent. This is to those who do it for the ride or for the love of art and therapeutic pleasures.

I myself love it for many reasons. The creation of something not entirely seen is simply sweet from a bicycle build and art perspective. Now I am no art major nor a mechanic by trade. But I love to see a sweet build when it flows without effort and looks so beautiful or borders on"damn thats different".
Something as simple as when you install that bottom bracket and it feels sooo smooth with each pedal stroke..
I define this as goober bicycle zhit and I love it. Ride on brothers & sisters....

July 19, 2013 08:27 PM
fixed_culture
23 posts
0 bikes
Because most completes are built with complete crap components

June 21, 2016 03:03 AM
ghostridethewhip
500 posts
0 bikes
I love building shit. I used to work on cars back when I had a garage and didnt have to pay rent. Bikes are much much cheaper and easier. Its always fun to see a finished bike and then ride the shit out of it.

Plus I like doing stuff with my hands. My hands are magical.

June 21, 2016 03:49 AM
DuddyJ
419 posts
45 bikes
Spoken like a true engineer

June 21, 2016 04:18 AM
Jehu
544 posts
14 bikes
I love nerding out over geo charts, components, weights, specifications, colors, finishes, etc. to make something that complements my style, needs and preferences. I relish the tranquil tactility of chasing a bb shell, pressing in a headset, tensioning spokes, torquing bolts, adjusting the brakes and drivetrain, dialing in the cockpit, etc. I guess you could say I enjoy the process almost as much as the product, but nothing beats a good ride!

June 21, 2016 04:19 AM
bikenejad
87 posts
13 bikes
If you're passionate about anything, you're going to want to make it your own. Bicycles are no different. That's why I do it. That's why anyone does anything they give a shit about.

June 21, 2016 05:38 AM
stalag13
145 posts
7 bikes
I love building my ride. It's so bad.

June 21, 2016 02:35 PM
everyone pretty much said it already but yeah i love building a bike from the frame up. it's really fun to geek out over component choice and seeing how differing geometry can change how a bike performs. It's good to see a final build that has everything thought out and that meshes together well. you really can't beat actually assembling a bike from the frame up. it's nice to put on some music and focus on something, plus when it's finished that first ride is much sweeter.

June 21, 2016 03:01 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
I love how this forum has taken to being super sensitive and soft...

That being said, it's amazing to ride something that you've built yourself. For me it's not the one-of-a-kind factor.. I feel that died long ago along with orange and purple aerospokes. It's more the history behind it that matters to me. The little memories of obtaining the different parts from different people, places and countries. - Not forgetting that mr. ghost has never been more right!

+1

And for the record, it's only fun when shit works. My first builds, noisy and ugly as they were, were not at all satisfactory or motivating in any way what so ever.

June 21, 2016 07:11 PM
Karl
289 posts
45 bikes
ghost needs a new hobby other than bad trolling

June 22, 2016 02:14 AM
outofstep
999 posts
15 bikes
No.

June 22, 2016 04:28 PM
DuddyJ
419 posts
45 bikes
some serious accusations here

June 22, 2016 05:29 PM
moose
475 posts
6 bikes
Personally, I really enjoy the independence and knowledge I have gained over the years of putting together my own bike. It took sometime to learn about what tools to use, what component is of good quality, etc. but man was it fun. Also, assembling a bike is something to take pride in. Then when riding said bike and someone asks who pieced it together and what not; it's like the best feeling to mention that you did it yourself. Even today I still take apart the bottom bracket to clean and apply grease after however many months and I enjoy it. Hell, after some time I tried learning to make a wheel. Unfortunately I did not have a truing tool. Sometime later I want to actually get into welding and build frames and forks.

It's also really educational and that information can be put into helping other people out or being able to give educated thoughts on certain things. For example: talking about B.B. dimensions or what B.B. is needed for this crank set, etc. Knowing what goes into your bike might help someone else with building one, buying parts, or helping them make a decision.

Sure at first I really wanted carbon wheels or the best components (specifically because the looked cool), but after sometime I learned that I didn't really need all of that stuff. I didn't need a bike that weighs 10 lbs or whatever so that I could have fun riding around town or anything. When I pieced together my bike it was all about being practical, being on a budget, and being able to fix or replace certain things.

June 24, 2016 08:53 PM
Rushing
372 posts
3 bikes
cuz brap

June 30, 2016 03:24 PM
Zeb_pepperoni
780 posts
9 bikes
because reasons unexplainable by modern science.

Ask me in 25 years?

July 29, 2016 12:35 AM
Shit just feels much more solid when you build it yourself. You can feel the work you've put in when you pedal. I think the notion that you can go anywhere and be confident that your ride won't break or a component snap. At least for me. I built all my bikes from Track, and Road except my touring bike.

August 21, 2016 11:46 PM
dwayneb9584
245 posts
7 bikes
Because if you ride regularly enough you're going to have to rebuild the whole damn bike anyway. You may as well build it the best way possible as soon as possible. Lots of trial and error involved. And lots of $$$$

September 8, 2016 03:05 AM
'Cause its better than jacking off.

August 17, 2017 01:04 PM
40degreerake
126 posts
2 bikes
Cause it takes like 20 minutes to throw it together in my living room with a few basic bike tools that everyone should own by now.

August 21, 2017 12:19 AM
Bwillam459
25 posts
2 bikes
I would say its also about putting yourself into your ride, if you build it from the ground up then you also can choose every detail and add your personality and your flavor!
For me its about building the perfect bike from A-Z with every piece you love and like, like any project its never ending but thats part of it!

August 21, 2017 08:30 AM
Because custom

August 23, 2017 07:12 PM
ghostridethewhip
500 posts
0 bikes
It is a lot of fun picking components and making a bike that is yours! A lot of companies will skimp on certain areas or put components that aren't what you like or use. I for one am not a fan of round bars and prefer a flat top bar and tend to go for handbuilt wheels which most stock bikes don't accommodate and I don't have time to sell components I don't want!

I also tend to want odd and more unique things most companies wouldn't understand. I don't build for mass consumption but for myself. If other people dig it, cool if not cool as long as you get on a bike you like and have fun

October 6, 2017 04:24 PM

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.