Home
Forums > Marketplace >

FS: 1985 Lugged Schwinn Madison Complete

All original 1985 Schwinn Madison track bike, named for historic 6 day racing in Madison Square Garden (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-day_racing).

Full pics (50): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jeOQo5rVGzLxVngezwndVAhn8ny2OSi5

I’m the second owner, bought it from the original owner who purchased it new from now defunct Kissler’s Schwinn Cyclery in Portland, OR. He told me that in his 30+ year tenure he took it around Alpenrose Velodrome a few times right after he got it, but never raced it, spending 99% of its life as a winter trainer on rollers in his basement. I’ve no reason to question this history, he was incredibly earnest and the bike is in terrific condition overall.

The only flaw is a small section of touch up paint on the bottom of the non drive side junction between the head and down tube. When brought to the original owner's attention, he admitted to having entirely forgot about it after touching up the paint over 20+ years ago as the result of some minor paint corrosion caused by dripping sweat from spinning for hours on rollers in his basement. Apparently he had the bike/rollers oriented head first into a corner with the wall on the rider’s left to aid in/balance while strapping into the pedal cages while using the rollers; the accumulated sweat simply escaped his notice. When he finally did notice, he cleaned and touched up the area and started draping a towel over the cockpit to avoid any further paint damage from sweat.

He assured me repeatedly the bike was never crashed or damaged and there is NO evidence, cracking, dents, bulges, etc to suspect it ever was. Despite having no reason to doubt his story, I’m a natural skeptic so I used a small brass wire wheel in a dremel to strip off the touch up paint down to bare steel to inspect the brazed lug joint and verify there was no cracks, damage, etc.; there is none.

There are several pictures showing the original touch up paint (pic #26), the stripped portion of the frame (pics #27-39), and the subsequent touch up paint (pics #40-47), i.e. nail polish. You’d have a hard time ever noticing this imperfection unless you knew about it and were looking for it, but I felt it best to fully disclose it to any prospective buyers; replacement decals are widely available on ebay if you wanted to repaint/powder and/or fully restore.

There are a few very minor paint chips, blemishes, etc, but the bike is in terrific shape overall and rides great. As far as I can tell, it’s all original, all components match up with the ‘85 catalog specs (pic # 50). I’ve done my best to provide several pictures from various angles showing it’s true and accurate condition.

It’s a great bike that just doesn’t get ridden enough to justify keeping, hence the sale.

The Schwinn head badge is stamped 1525 (pic #7), putting it’s production date the 152nd day of 1985, or June 1, 1985, based on my research. The serial # is SE509241(pic # 48).

Built with Columbus Tenax, which I’ve read is cosmetically blemished SL & SP tubing Columbus sold to Schwinn branded as Tenax.

-ST measures 57cm, c-c
-TT measures 55cm, c-c
-Suntour Sprint hubs laced to eyeleted box section Weinmann rims & Specialized 23c tires
-Suntour 165mm GLP cranks w/50t ⅛” sugino ring, MKS pedals w/Christophe cages & Sugino straps, & 16t cog
-Tange Falcon headset & SR cockpit w/cloth tape
-Avocet leather Criterium saddle & SR laprade post

The original Dia-Compe brake levers and caliper as well as a period correct and fully functional Cat Eye computer with cadence function calibrated to the current tires’ diameter the original owner used while training on rollers is also included with the sale (pic #49).

I’ve tried to provide as much information as possible, let me know if there’s anything else you’d like to know, thanks.

$550 net shipped within lower 48

February 25, 2018 08:46 AM
na3s
26 posts
0 bikes
This is incredible. GLWS.

February 26, 2018 01:32 PM
oouellette
23 posts
9 bikes
Where are you located?

August 29, 2018 11:58 AM
WA, 98225

September 16, 2018 07:38 AM
na3s
26 posts
0 bikes
Very nice!
And a bargain
GLWTS!

September 16, 2018 08:35 PM
kobe
655 posts
190 bikes
Thanks, I'm genuinely a bit stunned I still have it...

September 19, 2018 05:29 AM
na3s
26 posts
0 bikes
B

November 8, 2018 06:32 AM
sickdude
105 posts
9 bikes
Im interested

January 9, 2019 10:30 AM
This is extremely helpful info!! Very good work. Everything is very interesting to learn and easy to understood. Thank you for giving information

Fleeing The Complex

January 17, 2019 04:41 AM
Bump

February 15, 2019 08:06 PM
na3s
26 posts
0 bikes