Marketplace >

FS: Original 1987 Kestrel 4000 Aerospace-Carbon-Complete bike-RARE $2000

(closed)

June 9, 2017 10:46 AM
Designed by Brent Trimble, in collaboration with aerospace material experts, the Kestrel “4000” is the first all-carbon composite bike frame. Extremely rare, it truly is a piece of road cycling frame design history.

The Kestrel 4000 was the first production monocoque carbon fibre frame, introduced in 1986 as an 1987 model. Made during the latter half of the 80’s it's amazing what Kestrel were able to create, a monocoque frame that had aero shaped tubes, whilst also having internal routing for everything other than the front brake. It also has a scalloped seat tube for the extra aero advantage. The design was the first of its kind in that era, where everyone was developing aero accessories, Kestrel brought out an aero frame. Being American made, it was ridden by Lance Armstrong, Mark Allen, Greg LeMond, and Ken Glah, and thus Kestrel became a big name especially to triathletes.

My Kestrel 4000 is an '87 model, one of the earlier 4000's produced, as can be seen from the black decals with the colored K.

This is an extraordinary machine and in immaculate condition for a 31 year old frame! This bike has only been ridden on the weekends and does not have any significant marks or wear (check the pics for more details). Truly a beautiful and groundbreaking bike that many will remember for years.

I decided to list this iconic piece of racing history, as I have too many bikes and not enough space. However, I am also content in keeping this machine (my wife is not: both are beautiful but I can only keep one lol)

This machine is composed of the following (I upgraded the stem, bars, brake levers, pedals and cables)

Frame: Kestrel 4000, Moncoque Carbon
Year: 1987
Group: Shimano 105 Super SLR
Wheels: Campagnolo
Saddle: Vetta
Stem: Nitto Jaguar NJ Pro AA Alloy Quill Stem-110mm
Bar Tape: Brooks - Microfiber Bar Tape
Handlebar: NITTO RB021-254
Brake levers: Campagnolo Aluminium Aero TT/Triathlon Brake Levers
Pedals: Shimano SPD pedal with cleat PD-A 530-L lock
Cables: Replaced & upgraded with new cable/housing

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have & I'll be happy to answer ^ _ ^
Attached Photos:
Post photo Post photo Post photo Post photo Post photo Post photo Post photo Post photo Post photo Post photo Post photo
VintageOnly
1 post
0 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.