Marketplace >

WTB: Help! Mash Bolt '10 chainstay dent

(closed)

August 25, 2020 06:07 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been searching for a cinelli mash bolt 2010 for some time now and I've finally found one locally and it's my size! He's asking 550 for the frameset, but it has a little dent in the middle of the driveside chainstay. He's the original owner, and said he had a minor crash when another guys front wheel rammed the back of his bike just months after getting the frame back in 2010. Anyway, I'm really interested in buying the frameset but I'm feeling hesitant because of the dent. He claims it's safe enough to ride and that the dent can be fixed or filled by car mechanics or some sort. Can you guys help me decide if I should buy it or not. Im also gonna ask him to lower the price because of the damage. Is his price reasonable? Thanks guys
Attached Photos:
Post photo Post photo
dobby17
2 posts
3 bikes

August 25, 2020 07:25 AM
Dont buy. Guaranteed it will fail and crack/bend further right there.

August 25, 2020 10:43 AM
Totally agree. There is absolutely no way that you can rescue this frame. The moment it was crashed, it turned into waste!

August 25, 2020 02:37 PM
That's a *major* dent. Almost looks like the stay is bent. Would avoid it even if offered for 200$. A mechanic could potentially fix it, but it would never make sense, economically
Karl
31 posts
50 bikes

August 25, 2020 04:48 PM
Unfortunately the frame is most likely toast. Sad to be so close to finding your bike, but so far!

The dent alone doesn't worry me - I've ridden dented aluminum (super thin wall stuff like on a Klein Attitude). Dents aren't as scary as the internet would lead you to believe. You'll want to look out for sharp creases, esp. in aluminum, where crack propagation is imminent, but a rounded/smooth dent is less of a problem.

This frame though - the whole chainstay is bent / curved. Very good chance the rear end is out of alignment. Your rear wheel may not sit right and the frame may not track straight. Aligning would further damage and weaken the frame so I wouldn't bother here.

If you want it as a beater to putz around on close to home and lock up, I'd say it's worth $50 top. Otherwise it's a wall hanger.
_rd
167 posts
20 bikes

August 27, 2020 11:13 AM
Woah okay. Probably not gonna take it now.

Thanks so much for the advice guys! Really appreciate it.

dobby17
2 posts
3 bikes

Replies aren't allowed because this topic is closed.